What type of door linings?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I (home owner) have some 30 door linings to get fitted in my home. The widths range from 100, 140, 150, 160, 330, 350 and 380mm (the largest).

I want a good finish i.e strong, ideally no knots. The linings will be painted white.

I understand pine is the cheapest wood with many knots. What good woods should I be considering and can anyone recommend any timber suppliers that they have actually used (I know I can google search but I'm looking for recommendations of those actually used).

I would like to have the wood primed at source and if possible jig saw cut so all the sides and headers are easy for my fitters to slot together and make up to save time.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Joinery grade redwood, FAS (firsts and seconds) if possible. Any decent joinery shop or one of the better timber yards should be able to house the heads for you. If you want them pre-finished you'll probsbly need to find a joiners shop who can make then up and spray finish them. Asking for a recommended supplier without supplying a location? You need to supply that first. My reliable local suppliers wouldn't be interested in such a small order if they had to deliver it to, say, London

Jig saw cut? Do you mean having the horns sawn off? Quite apart from the fact that any carpenter, even a second year apprentice, should have the tools and knowledge to take off the horns neatly (and that a jig saw is NOT the ideal tool to do the job), the reason you leave them on during transport is to protect the casing joints from damage. Makes me wonder if you have bunch of (not so well) trained monkeys doing the installation, that they cannot do the job

Last edited by a moderator:
What’s your view on mdf?

I’m in a similar stage of my renovation and will need to consider linings.

As a chippie I'm not keen. OK, so they paint out well. If installed fixed to sufficiently robust softwood under frames (so that hinge screws can fix through the MDF and into the softwood) then it is possible to get a decent door opening, however installing/reinstalling needs to be done with caution as it is incredibly easy to catch the edges of the hinge recesses with a hinge and knock a chip out. Screws also tend not to hold well so you need to ensure that you pilot drill correctly and don't overtighten the screws. They were popular for a while on hotel and college jobs - until they found out that you get a lot more incurably droopy doors wirh them unless there is a timber frame behind them to carry the weight.

Sponsored Links
Have use mdf on a door lining that was over 300mm wide (getting timber for that was difficult).Fixed to timber which ran behind the mdf so hinge fixing was through the mdf rather than too it , timber also gives a better fix for architrave than MDF. Like J&K mentioned does paint up nice.

Joinery grade redwood, FAS (firsts and seconds) if possible. Any decent joinery shop or one of the better timber yards should be able to house the heads for you. If you want them pre-finished you'll probably need to find a joiners shop who can make then up and spray finish them. Asking for a recommended supplier without supplying a location? You need to supply that first. My reliable local suppliers wouldn't be interested in such a small order if they had to deliver it to, say, London

Jig saw cut? Do you mean having the horns sawn off? Quite apart from the fact that any carpenter, even a second year apprentice, should have the tools and knowledge to take off the horns neatly (and that a jig saw is NOT the ideal tool to do the job), the reason you leave them on during transport is to protect the casing joints from damage. Makes me wonder if you have bunch of (not so well) trained monkeys doing the installation, that they cannot do the job

Thx for your reply. Delivery is to Essex.But at 30 door linings, it's not a small order.
What do you mean by firsts and seconds? Perhaps Im not using the terminology properly, but bousing the heads and taking the horns off, what do you mean? I was referring to the fact that they are made up so the lengths slot into the heads. THe guys can do that work, just looking to save time.

Thx for your reply. Delivery is to Essex.But at 30 door linings, it's not a small order.
Having been involved in joinery manufacturing in the past i can assure you that 30 linings is a relatively small order and in view of the lower cost material being used (softwood) is just not worth delivering over any sort of distance because the transport costs would be excessive. 30 hardwood casings with matching architraves sets and pre hung doors would be a different matter

It is clear from what you have written that either you won't talk to your installers about what is needed, or that you don't trust them or that they just aren't joiners.

FAS refers to the grade of timber as any joiner should be able to tell you. The horns are left on for transport with softwood casings as it reduces the possibility of damage in transit. As to saving time, it takes a joiner with a sharp hand saw all of 2 to 3 minutes to saw the horns off - so where's the time saving?

You leave the impression that you are either employing muppets or non-English speakers (or both) to install because a 2 minute conversation with a joiner would inform you of exactly what he requires to specify and install

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back