Door linings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What type of wood do you guys use in the way door linings? Pine is cheapest and you can pick something up from Wickes for about £30 for a door set, but others tell me its not great for paining and knots will eventually fall out.

The same thing in Tulip wood I am being quoted £120. Really confused as to what the difference is and the cost jump, is there a trade off?

Sponsored Links
You can use MDF if you want a consistent surface and straight, I guess the cost is similar to pine. But timber deals with moisture better. No idea about tulip wood

When you say straight, wood is also straight right? Will MDF be as strong as wood? Do knots in pine really fall out once they are painted?

I've used plenty of wickes linings in the past. You do have to be selective as some are warped/ bowed, but most aren't too bad. Some can be a bit rough and knotty, but as long as you prep them up correctly i.e. sand, knot all the knots, decent paint and sand between coats they come up just fine.

Sponsored Links
Who actually uses MDF for linings here? Is it that popular compared with wood?

Will MDF be as strong as wood?
No. It won't withstand repeated on-off-in-out of the hinge screws without the screw holes quickly becoming 'baggy' and useless. It's a case of hang the door then walk away.

So what wood are most people here using when lining the door opening?

Either pine or a hardwood such as oak?

What finish do you want?

So what wood are most people here using when lining the door opening?
I use pine casings but try and select wisely. I select those with a closer grain and without knots in vulnerable places like hinge or latch locations.
It all depends on your budget.

Thing is i'm placing an order for 20+ door sets over the phone or Internet so will not have the opportunity to inspect them individually.

I'll be painting them white.

Last edited:
All white or some white? Do you mind pine on show on some?

Why wouldn't you just order through a local merchants so if any are that bad you can sort it or with them direct? Or are you trying to save a pound through on online retailer?

Maybe try eBay, I'm sure you can get some cheap top notch ones on there.

but others tell me its not great for paining and knots will eventually fall out.

Who are these others, and do they actually have a clue what they are talking about?

I'm not convinced that knots are blocking vacuums in millions of homes up and down the land.

Live knots are fine, dead ones drop out. Check the linings and send back the rubbish ones.

You can always over order and return some, although unless you can drop them back yourself the carriage would be too much.

Who actually uses MDF for linings here? Is it that popular compared with wood?
Oh good point I was thinking of architrave not the bit you hang the door in.
In our place the door openings aren't all standard, I decided to make my own out of wood I picked myself. It does mean more work though but you get more flexibility.
Then I used MDF for the*architrave*:LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back