Choosing good interior doors...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I definitely want solid instead of moulded and I also want to paint them so, presumably knotty pine is the most cost effective option

I'm looking at some knotty pine doors at about £30 each at B&Q. Will knots need to be treated and does anyone have any experiences with B&Q doors? Wickes also do similarly priced ones if they're likely to be better

Sponsored Links
depends what you mean by good

knotty pine ones are very thin and light, do not cut down noise as much as a heavy door. People usually buy knotty pine if they like the look of it and want to varnish it.

the knots tend to show through the paint, even if you seal them to prevent resin bleeding through.

I have gone for panelled fire doors, they are much heavier, more solid and sound-proof. Mine are a paint grade and are moulded, mostly made of dense chipboard. They are not like those hollow moulded hardboard doors you will have seen.

Once you get a knotty pine fella off the large flat stack at B&Q and into your home it will warp like bu99ery!

Also a lot of the so called 'clear' pine doors are a veneer on an engineered background as are a lot of premium faced doors such as oak and hardwood finished fellas.

In joinery, knots are considered bad news and are best avoided. B&Q seem to be following the old adage "if you can't hide it, make a feature of it"

Excellent bit of marketing on their part, enabling them to shift old tat to the unsuspecting ;)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back