Whooshing noise in radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My family think I'm mad because I can hear the water rushing through the radiators when the heating is on. They all say it's normal but I'm sure it didn't always sound like this.
I searched through some old posts but the answers didn't make much sense to me.
We have a combi boiler (not sure of make, will check when I go upstairs).
Do the radiators need bleeding? I've never done it as they're all really hot.

Sponsored Links
Common problem with the older / more basic combi boilers - their pumps run too fast for the heating system, so the velocity of water through pipes and valves is too high, resulting in noise. More advanced boilers can have their pump speeds adjusted. Let us know what you have and we can advise

Worcester Greenstar compact condensing

Well in that case for starters you should turn your boiler thermostat down a bit - running your radiators "really hot" is inefficient and actually prevents your boiler from condensing, which uses more gas. Boilers only condense when the water going back to them from the radiators is below 52°C.

As for the noise issue, your boiler has four different pump settings, so it should be adjusted to best suit the system

Sponsored Links
Is it something I could adjust myself or do I need an engineer to do it?

Not a plumber, but when i balanced my system i had to almost close the lockshield on the towel rail closest to the boiler and this made that water flowing noise.
Opening it a little tiny more cured the problem.
Something to try.

Will have a search for the manual online - the paper one went missing

Not a plumber, but when i balanced my system i had to almost close the lockshield on the towel rail closest to the boiler and this made that water flowing noise.
Opening it a little tiny more cured the problem.
Something to try.

What is a lockshield?

So I need to set the radiator temp to less than 52°?

Had a look in the manual but can't find anything about pump settings.

OPRV_p1.jpg
What is a lockshield?
The radiator valve opposite the thermostatic valve.

https://tinyurl.com/yc8lf8jd

From Page 14...

"The pump map can be selected within 2.1C in the Boiler settings menu
list:
• 0 (pump variable speed setting)
• 1 (constant pressure low)
• 2 (constant pressure low/middle)
• 3 (constant pressure middle/high)
• 4 (constant pressure high)"

You should have your boiler set to max 70°C (which is the flow temperature) to achieve a target 50°C return, assuming your system is correctly balanced and the pump is set correctly. Go lower if you can, but obviously the house still needs to get warm

https://tinyurl.com/yc8lf8jd

From Page 14...

"The pump map can be selected within 2.1C in the Boiler settings menu
list:
• 0 (pump variable speed setting)
• 1 (constant pressure low)
• 2 (constant pressure low/middle)
• 3 (constant pressure middle/high)
• 4 (constant pressure high)"

You should have your boiler set to max 70°C (which is the flow temperature) to achieve a target 50°C return, assuming your system is correctly balanced and the pump is set correctly. Go lower if you can, but obviously the house still needs to get warm

Ah that's different to the manual I downloaded. I must have the wrong one. How do I change the pump settings? (forgive my ignorance - we've never had a combi boiler before so I just leave it on the settings the engineers sets it to when he services it).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back