Who's

S

Shutpa

People sometimes find difficulty in the use of the terms who's and whose. Who's is a contraction of 'who is' or 'who has' (who's he?), while whose, on the other hand, means 'belonging to or associated with', (whose pen is this?).

Even the experienced reader can look at a short sentence eg "Who's next for the chop?" and think that the writer has made a spelling mistake. However, since 'who's' is a proper term, if there had been an error, it would have been a grammatical one and not a spelling one.

I trust that this will clear up any confusion!

Sponsored Links
It's 'your' and 'you're' you should be talking about.

I think not665 covered 'it's and its' a few months ago,

How about that other great confuser - the apostrophe after the 's'?

Boys school

Boy's school

Boys' school.

Anyone care to explain that one? If not I'll do it later.

Sponsored Links
People sometimes find difficulty in the use of the terms who's and whose. Who's is a contraction of 'who is' or 'who has' (who's he?), while whose, on the other hand, means 'belonging to or associated with', (whose pen is this?).

Which should correctly be to whom does this pen belong. Or if amongst the pleberati, the correct vernacular would be to whom does this pen belong, innit? :)

People sometimes find difficulty associated with', (whose penis this?).

Even the experienced reader can look at a short sentence eg "Who's next for the chop?" and think that the writer has made a spelling mistake. However, since 'who's' is a proper term, if there had been an error, it would have been a grammatical one and not a spelling one.

I trust that this will clear up any confusion!
if it`s a big one , it`s mine :oops:

I never thought for one moment that my post would start a discussion. It was made to simply point out to someone that there is a difference between a spelling mistake and a grammatical error. I've been trawling my past posts for about two weeks looking a spelling mistake which was not simply a keying-in error. And then it struck me. The person who pointed out my spelling mistake had in fact meant grammatical error. However, as I pointed out above, there was neither a spelling mistake nor a grammatical error. He simply confused 'who's with 'whose'. Nobody's perfect!

Thanks for the replies.

bolo you have to understand that some contributers on here are now of a rather mature age and have either forgotten what they learnt at school with punctuation and grammar or simply have memory loss or dysfunction from time to time (drink induced maybe?) sometimes the PC doesn't seem to keep up with the typing or the fingers mishit the keys and bits go missing or typos ensue. In the end this forum is not for educating people in spelling or grammar, thats what the spell check is for, its here for getting over one's viewpoint and most on here accept that and tend to ignore or accept anothers misgivings

... In the end this forum is not for educating people in spelling or grammar, thats what the spell check is for, its here for getting over one's viewpoint and most on here accept that and tend to ignore or accept anothers misgivings

Except that the nub of many viewpoints are all but lost due to the absence of grammatical syntax. Full marks to Bolo, as it is he to whom this viewpoint belongs, innit. ;)

So you suggest that those unable for whatever reason to be grammatically correct shouldn't contribute?

So you suggest that those unable for whatever reason to be grammatically correct shouldn't contribute?

Of course not. But a little more time spent on placing a comma here or a semi-colon there might make even a brief point more succinct.

Sponsored Links
Back