Why are my flow and return pipes connected?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am trying to understand my pipework coming from my boiler and it seems pretty straight forward, mains water in, hot water out to the taps etc, and a single flow and return to the radiators, the return has the word return written on it in pen.

My question is why are they connected? I have put the heating on and the connecting pipe gets hot straight away so is definitely connected.

Any explanation appreciated.

Picture of the pipes attached.

Cheers

Dave

Attachments

• IMG_3988.jpeg
    IMG_3988.jpeg
    207.4 KB · Views: 680
Sponsored Links
Hi Motman, For what purpose? The pipe has an isolation valve half way that you can see in the pic, this seems to be open as it gets hot on the right hand side straight away.

Should this be like this? Is it going to be causing anything like the system being inefficient, or 'thinking' the rads are up to temp when they are not?

Thanks

Dave

Sponsored Links
If it makes any difference its an external oil fired boiler. thanks.

It should have an auto bypass valve in there, not a crusty old ballofix

Does it make it any better if it's a gate valve (like mine is)? Always thought it odd, and otherwise professionally installed system.

ha ha, so are you saying it should not be linked? Thanks.

There should be a bypass somewhere on the system, between flow and return, that allows system water to circulate if other route is restricted/closed, ie rads have TRVs which have been satisfied and shut down or motorised valve has closed and the system needs somewhere for the pump to send water to cool down, during overrun period.

However, the bypass (link) should have either a automatic bypass valve installed on it or a properly set gate valve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back