WHY ARE MY LABURNUM TREES NOT FLOWERING??? WHY OH WHY OH WHY

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Exactly 2 years ago I planted 2 laburnum trees. Last year, 12 months after planting they flowered beautifully. But, this year they have each strangely only bore one cluster of flowers each. Is there a reason for this. They grown really lovely in size and are now covered in fresh green leaves but no flowers. Is it me??????
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Sponsored Links
We had one which was over 15 years old, it flowered every year the same for 8 years we lived there.

You probably now already but:

Laburnum trees are highly poisonous, children may be tempted by the seeds which they mistake for pea pods, which if eaten can be fatal. The leaves and root also contain poison.

There are many other plants which are poisonous. As for children eating them, it's difficult enough to get them to eat vegetables at meal times. Why not just teach them which are ok and which are not? Better than spreading alarm under the banner "better safe than sorry". Try that on some of the thoughtless parents who drive at breakneck speed when doing the school run, and not just with their own children.

errmm, ok, it was just a friendly warning, that text was taken from another website, if the op did not know then it MAY have saved some headache in the future.

Kid's love flowers and these are spectacular when in bloom, so it's not hard to imagine parents and children picking these for some display of some kind whilst oblivious to the dangers!

As for the parent school runs, yes i know, completely aggee, for the sake of 5 minutes they drive like loons - i always look on at amazement as some parents are running back to the car and sped off to work like crazed animals!

Sponsored Links
I thought this was a question about the tree not flowering....Well funny enough I didnt have many flowers on mine this year.

Am I on the correct forum here????????

I thought the question was why hasnt my laburnum flowered and NOT school runs.

SO I ASK AGAIN.

Is there any particular reason for my laburnum not flowering? And for those of you who have been watching the match you can answer this later. Thats if anyone has an answer.

Right I will now wait again.
:evil: :evil: :evil:

Exactly 2 years ago I planted 2 laburnum trees. Last year, 12 months after planting they flowered beautifully. But, this year they have each strangely only bore one cluster of flowers each. Is there a reason for this. They grown really lovely in size and are now covered in fresh green leaves but no flowers. Is it me??????
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Laburnums won't always flower in successive years. They have a tendency to drain themselves of their energy reserves whenever they put on a good show and can take another season to stabilise again. Give them a high Potash feed and leave them to their own devices.

You can also have a hunt around for slugs and snails if the foliage is within reach.

Thank you W_Axl_Rose. What a sensible answer I did check the net and found a similar answer but just thought I would check on here in case there was a definate answer or maybe something I was doing wrong. It did give a really good show last year which was its first year so looks like I will now have to wait a whole 12 months again and see what happens. I will remember the potash though. Its really healthy looking and growing lovely but not recommended if you want to see those flowers at least once a year I may have opted for something else had I have known. Thanks again for the replys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back