Why Are SSDs Failing So Often On Desktop?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 11 year old Acer Aspire M3910 desktop pc had a new SSD to upgrade the old mechanical HD in mid 2020. This lasted until August this year, when a new SSD was installed. My pc has now stopped working again and the symptoms are the same as the previous failed SSD - so it looks like it needs another one. Both SSDs are Crucial MX500s.

I'm waiting for for knowledgeable friend to have a look and confirm the failed SSD and replace it for me. If it is the SSD, why are they blowing so regularly? Is there something else that can be causing it? Any advice greatly appreciated as changing these things and having to set up the pc again is a right pain.

Sponsored Links
Heat? Sometimes these things run insanely hot when they are being used intensively. Has it got adequate cooling?

Over use? Every SSD has a maximum number of writes before it dies, although you would need to write a vast amount of data to it to use up the write cycles in 3 years.

What operating system?
What is this PC used for?
How many hours a day?
How big is the SSD?

What are the 'symptoms' of it failing?

I have a CX500 500Gb in this laptop, bought in June 2020 so same age as your original. Crucial's Storage Executive program says 94% lifetime remaining. It's running at 38C and highest has been up to 54C as a maximum Zero read or write fails, and no spare blocks reallocated so far for me.

MX500s have either a 3 year or, more likely a 5 year warranty* from Crucial so they certainly aren't expecting failures as fast as you've experienced with this replacement. I'd be suspecting a different problem e.g. a power supply rail issue, dodgy electrolytics, boot rom corruption/battery or something similar.

* Limited. Purchased from authorised sellers only.

How do you know that the drive has failed?

What happens when you boot the machine? Does the BIOS tell you that it cannot see the SSD? If it is simply the case that windows will not load the file registry on the drive may have become corrupted. If so chkdsk via a command prompt at boot may resolve the issue.

My first SSD was in a Sony Vaio laptop, released in 2010. I used that laptop for 7 years. I have never had an SSD that has failed. And that laptop had a separate graphics card that would run hot at times.

Having looked at your desktop, I can't imagine that it is heat related. If the vents were full of fluff, the processor would/should overheat and shut the machine down before I would expect the SSD to fail.

Alternatively, take the SSD out, put it in an external (USB) caddy and use another computer to see if it is readable. If you don't have a caddy, you could use the second computer to download a copy of a Ultimate Boot CD (you can burn it to CD or a USB stick. Boot the Acer with that and test the SSD.

Crucial may well be able to help with their own CD/USB support tools. They are a reputable company.

Sponsored Links
Heat? Sometimes these things run insanely hot when they are being used intensively. Has it got adequate cooling?

Over use? Every SSD has a maximum number of writes before it dies, although you would need to write a vast amount of data to it to use up the write cycles in 3 years.

The only cooling in the case is the trumpet type fan on the CPU, fan in PSU and fan on the graphics card. The vents are all clear of dust, it's clean inside and I've added acouple of extra vents in the PCIE slot cutouts on rear of case.

The pc is used for a couple of hours perday. No gaming or editing - just light use 99% on internet browser. I only store a couple of hundred photos and some documents (backed up) on the pc.

What operating system?
What is this PC used for?
How many hours a day?
How big is the SSD?

What are the 'symptoms' of it failing?

I have a CX500 500Gb in this laptop, bought in June 2020 so same age as your original. Crucial's Storage Executive program says 94% lifetime remaining. It's running at 38C and highest has been up to 54C as a maximum Zero read or write fails, and no spare blocks reallocated so far for me.

MX500s have either a 3 year or, more likely a 5 year warranty* from Crucial so they certainly aren't expecting failures as fast as you've experienced with this replacement. I'd be suspecting a different problem e.g. a power supply rail issue, dodgy electrolytics, boot rom corruption/battery or something similar.

* Limited. Purchased from authorised sellers only.

Windows 10 home.
99% web browsing - no games or editing, etc.
2, max 3 hours per day.
SSD is Crucial MX500 - 500gb.

Failing symptoms - couple of months ago I had been away for a week, switched on and for a minute before it booted up, it had a flashing black screen with small cursor top left. It booted up after this and worked fine until now though I had seen this flashing screen briefly in the interveneing period. Now it wont start/boot up - permanent flashing black screen and cursor. This flashing screen was also quite evident before the original new SSD failed. The latest failure also included one involuntary shutdown, couple of blue screens and one occasion when watching Youtube vid when screen froze and pc made loud buzzing sound.

I realise it may not be the SSD - just trying to pre-empt my tech friend who can't look until Jan. When the original on board graphics card failed couple of years ago, I suppose some of the symptoms were also similar to what I'm getting now.

Thinking about it, I have a good spare graphics card - would it be a good idea to swap it with the one in pc to rule it out?

Last edited:
How do you know that the drive has failed?

What happens when you boot the machine? Does the BIOS tell you that it cannot see the SSD? If it is simply the case that windows will not load the file registry on the drive may have become corrupted. If so chkdsk via a command prompt at boot may resolve the issue.

My first SSD was in a Sony Vaio laptop, released in 2010. I used that laptop for 7 years. I have never had an SSD that has failed. And that laptop had a separate graphics card that would run hot at times.

Having looked at your desktop, I can't imagine that it is heat related. If the vents were full of fluff, the processor would/should overheat and shut the machine down before I would expect the SSD to fail.

Alternatively, take the SSD out, put it in an external (USB) caddy and use another computer to see if it is readable. If you don't have a caddy, you could use the second computer to download a copy of a Ultimate Boot CD (you can burn it to CD or a USB stick. Boot the Acer with that and test the SSD.

Crucial may well be able to help with their own CD/USB support tools. They are a reputable company.

Apologies but some of your questions may be above my pay grade/experience level. I can't boot up, it just gives a flashing black screen with small cursor top left if I switch on. Goes no further. Good idea re. connecting ssd up to another pc. What would I need to buy to connect SSD to another pc? I have a laptop I could use.

Last edited:
Not even the initial BIOS screen appearing?

Bios isn't something I've ever looked at or seen. When my pc fires up, first thing I get is " Acer - empowering people" on screen then continues to boot. Strangely I've just turned on the pc and it boots up and works - but no doubt if I keep using it, it will blue screen or go back to black flashing screen. I booted it up a number of times trying either F2 or del keys - but couldn't get into BIOS.

May be I'm out of my depth.

Strangely I've just turned on the pc and it boots up and works - but no doubt if I keep using it, it will blue screen or go back to black flashing screen.

That sounds similar to what happened to my laptop, when I fitted an SSD in my Compaq, apart from it's demise being much sooner after fitting - the same day. It worked fine initially, then within hours, deteriorated to blue-screening, then eventually it refused to even boot at all.

Something is wrong.
Unlikely to be SSD to my small brain.
RAM more likely, possibly?

11 year old desktop. May be the right age to budget for a renewal.

You could google the term " Windows 10 hardware diagnostics " and try some of the built in tests. {Though I tried one (perfmon) and got no output just 'collecting data' just now.}

Or perhaps some of the simpler third party stuff {some tools can be dangerous in the 'wrong hands'}.

Certainly, while its running, use the Crucial Tools to check the SSD SMART stats...

Bios isn't something I've ever looked at or seen. When my pc fires up, first thing I get is " Acer - empowering people" on screen then continues to boot. Strangely I've just turned on the pc and it boots up and works - but no doubt if I keep using it, it will blue screen or go back to black flashing screen. I booted it up a number of times trying either F2 or del keys - but couldn't get into BIOS.

May be I'm out of my depth.

According to the manual, hitting Del should take you into the BIOS.

Unlug the PC from the mains, plug it back in, hit the power button and start repeatedly tapping the Del key. If you see the Acer splash screen, you have hit Del too late.

This is an example of a SSD caddy

If I do this, what will it tell me?

Had the pc running half an hour now and runs perfectly. Will see for how much longer, then see what it does. Thanks to all who are helping, will try some suggestions.

If the SSD has failed, the BIOS will not be able to see it.

The software recommended by @Rodders53 will interrogate the hard drive and run a diagnostic test, and then give you feed back.

In general, if diagnostic software finds bad sectors on a hard drive, it will tell the hard drive to ignore those sectors. Think of a room full of filing cabinets. If you have a flood, you can decide to ignore the water soaked ones and rely upon the dry ones. You will lose the data in those cabinets, but can still access the data in the rest- that is a really pants explanation but I used it to try to explain how a hard drive will function.

By virtue of the fact that your PC is working OK at the moment, I am still not convinced that the SSD is faulty.

I hope that you mate does a stress test (using something like the link I gave you).

If, for example, you have faulty RAM or a faulty GPU, it will shut down the computer and windows will have to try to repair itself. If the PC stops suddenly, windows needs to try to work out what goes where when things shut down.

SMART
If I do this, what will it tell me?

It will tell you if the SSD is OK --- or not!

If it's ok then you need to move on to other potential issues. One is a memory (RAM) test that needs the PC rebooting into DOS.

Sponsored Links
Back