Why are the fittings on uPVC windows so crap?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This one has bugged me for some time but i've always forgotten to ask someone.

Growing up as a kid my parents house had wooden windows for a long time & the bit that you'd lock the window with was fine. No issues until eventually the wooden frame began to rot & it eventually gave.

Other designs were also good.

We now have uPVC windows at my mums house. At the house we've bought the windows are uPVC. At work they're uPVC & on each & every window bar NONE, the handle is absolutely crap - it's just so incredibly loose. Bit of a coincidence to happen over so many windows over 3 different buildings.

So why are they always so loose?

Sponsored Links

Bugs the hell out of me too...Is it planned obsolescence?

I am sure someone could spec a lasting design, but would they put it onto a PVC window and bounce their product out of the short-termist market?

People seem happy to but new windows every 15 years?

Bugs the hell out of me too...Is it planned obsolescence?

I am sure someone could spec a lasting design, but would they put it onto a PVC window and bounce their product out of the short-termist market?

People seem happy to but new windows every 15 years?
Ours went funny very rapid. Some of them don't even lock properly in that the handle doesn't go all the way down.

I just think someone could've really come up with a better design. We've tried new handles but it doesn't solve the problem. Whatever it is, from my experience the design is beyond poor. Don't get me wrong i'd rather have frames that don't rot, but the handles are awful.

Sponsored Links
Alot of it in my opinion is down to insurance company's. They demand more and more secure locks which makes things more complex and prone to failure. (which is silly when they are only going to break through the glass any way).

Also there is a cost element, There are very good quality locks and handles out there but they cost a lot more.

For example PVC door handles, The basic ones are £10 the highly secure ones with 10year garentee against corrosion and wear are £90. Basic locks are £4 each, Top of the range secure locks are £80 each.
If I start quoting my door £170 more than my competitors I wont get the job, So I have to quote the basic stuff as standard and try to upsell the better stuff, In 6 years Ive had about 5 customers who wanted the better quality bits :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back