Why aren't there more lighting wiring solutions?

The 3 example products mentioned are suitable for that wiring diagram

Sponsored Links
I think that red-sleeved wire should be black, and the grey should be sleeved as well.

Seriously, though, the problem does not exist. You would not have seven cables to one switch.
Even if you did, all the neutrals could be in one terminal connector, the cpcs in the terminal provided, the lives and switched lives in the switch.

Last edited:
For that sort of application you would normally need far more 'blocks' of interconnected terminals than the four which the OP was suggesting, because you would usually have multiple switched-lives to deal with. When I've done things like that, I've usually used multiple pieces of ('commoned') terminal strip in a suitable enclosure. I suppose one could also use Wagos, but one could easily end up with spaghetti! Probably the neatest approach is to use DIN-rail-mounted connectors, but that could end up pretty bulky (and fairly expensive).

Kind Regards, John
Yeah sounds good, cost isn't the biggest issue within reason so din rail is what I'm thinking, then I can relatively easily add din mounted elv->lv relays at a later date with the rest of the elv stuff in a separate enclosure.
The reason I'm wiring all the lights to one location on each floor is to get away from having loads of separate arduinos, but it's already cost more in cable than any enclosure would add.

I think that red-sleeved wire should be black
I don't, as it's a T/E switch drop cable. The sleeving should be brown though.

There is a black missing though:

screenshot_1071.jpg

and the grey should be sleeved as well.
Indeed

Seriously, though, the problem does not exist. You would not have seven cables to one switch.
The diagram does not show 7 cables to one switch.

Sponsored Links
AIUI he's complaining about the fact that as he has several lights and a fan controlled by one switch, and he doesn't want to loop from one light etc to the next, he has created for himself a need for a method of joining all the cables which he is finding hard to satisfy.

There is this solution which is basically what's being described.

But I don't see the issue with wiring L+N to the switch, and then wiring spotlights in parallel. The most cables you'll have at even a 3 gang switch with a fan is 6. Admittedly you'd probably want a deeper backbox, but hager switches (and possibly others) have neutral terminals, the backbox has an earth terminal. Jobs a good'un

With the bathroom just wire everything to the fan isolator, much easier, and loop in and out for more than one light fitting. Unless the light fittings are made by Astro lighting where even a single 1mm is too big to fit.

With the bathroom just wire everything to the fan isolator, much easier, and loop in and out for more than one light fitting
I've seen this method talked about but never done it like that. Don't see the advantage...

It means you have 5 cables in your fan isolator with 1 in the switch, versus 4 in your fan switch and 2 in your isolator the 'normal' way - sounds like 6 of one and half a dozen of the other

No connector for neutral and so on, we've been doing it that way for over 10 years anyway!

Just a random brain-spasm thought: has anybody ever come across an offering, or people like Schneider for example (other companies are available) touting a domestic house equivalent of something like CANbus?

Never seen anything domestic. Did it once in an office building, cat5 in and out of all the lighting controls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back