Why can't I get an honest quote ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want someone to fit me a GRP roof sheet, simple enough.

So why is this so difficult to get a quote for, I have the sheet on order - to be delivered very shortly ?

I fit central heating for a living, so i guess i could be classed as a tradesman myself. So why are all the roofers I've tried so difficult to deal with ?

Is it due to lack of oxygen at the height you work at ?

Sponsored Links
In what way are they difficult - over quoting, not quoting, not turning up as arranged?

Blup

Sponsored Links
Do you add a little to the price of parts you supply to your customers?

Do you add a little to the price of parts you supply to your customers?

I usually add £10 to cover my travel to the gas spares shop and back. But other than that, no. Anyone can go online and find out how much stuff costs to work out if they are being ripped off, and I don't RIP people off.

I've just had my first 'honest' quote back tonight at £770
Two other verbal quotes this week - one at £1400 and another this morning at £2800.

So you tell me, how much do people add on for materials ?

I usually add £10 to cover my travel to the gas spares shop and back. But other than that, no. Anyone can go online and find out how much stuff costs to work out if they are being ripped off, and I don't RIP people off.

I've just had my first 'honest' quote back tonight at £770
Two other verbal quotes this week - one at £1400 and another this morning at £2800.

So you tell me, how much do people add on for materials ?
10%-30%
Glad you`ve had one "honest" quote now.

The cheapest quote doesn't go far for 2 men.
How long is it going to take?

The cheapest quote doesn't go far for 2 men.
How long is it going to take?

Yes, that's my only concern. I would imagine 2 men could do the job in a day if they are proficient in the job, but I wouldn't be surprised if it would be done in 1.5 days.

There is the lead flashing to do, a facia board and a piece of guttering to replace.

A slight mistake in the last post was that the middle quote was £1700 so theres quite a disparity in the prices. What do they say ? Never go for the cheapest quote ?

Labour only at a day and a half is reasonable...no idea about the disparity in prices but I know the trades where I am have never been as busy.

What is the project?

By GRP sheet do you mean a rooflight?

If you can describe what the works are then maybe some one can give you a steer to what you should expect to pay.

You said it was replacing a grp sheet but now there’s also lead, fascias and gutters to be replaced.

Part of the reason you are struggling to get quotes and consistent ones is the lack of tradesmen vs the amount of work currently required in the marketplace coming out of lockdown.

in trying to source tradesmen for all sorts of stuff right now, plumbers, joiners/carpenters, plasterers, general builders ... majority are either not showing up to look at the work or not returning quotes. Some are quoting lead times of 16 weeks for any work at all.

We only have ourselves to blame on this country for not providing the infrastructure to train new apprentices and tradesmen tbh.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back