Why Do New Boilers Need A 22mm Supply?

Hi Having checked this forum for gas pipe size feel more confused than ever, due to new boilers using less gas.

Now will be having a new comb fitted and after laying new suppy pipe before fitting kitchin units ( boiler will be fitted by a engineer), run is about 15m with a tee of for cooker which is 12m from meter.

Now am I right in saying I need a 28mm up to cooker then to boiler a 22mm pipe.

Also service pipe from gas main to house is a steel pipe that has been lined with a plastic pipe, which may (not sure) be smaller than 28mm.

Sponsored Links
You should not be laying the pipework for the gas at all.

Cannot see no reason why I can not, if its not connected by me and it is checked out by a engineer.

From wot I can understand I can connect up a gas boiler provided I do not connect to gas and leave the rest to a engineer.

Or will I be doing you out of a job

OR will I need a plumber to connect the water

Sponsored Links
Not doing me out of a job :) quite simply you should not touch anything gas related unless you are competant, most rgi`s won`t sign off your pipework either. You can connect all pipework to the new boiler bar the gas. And tell me how will the rgi check your pipework if you have it buried behind the kitchen units.

I've always asked the question.

"If Condensing boilers are more efficient why do they need a bigger gas pipe" :LOL: :LOL:

Dont encourage him simond, he has become quite the expert now, perhaps he and JohnD will set up in business together . Called the BLB. LTD. ;)

why aint the OP involved in this discussion :idea:

Because after posting this question almost a year ago, the answers told me all I needed to know.

A lot has happened in the year since posting. Where have you been Kevplumb :?:

Thanks for some of the helpful replys guys

In reply to Littleleaks ' He will put on his exray glasses the same way he condemed the old pipe that was in a concrete floor'

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back