New boiler quote and no T&C,s

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just curious.
New boiler quote (not estimate) but co has no T&C's,
What would happen if needed to charge for extras? ie upgrading gas pipe to 22mm

Sponsored Links
Then they'd have to discuss that with you at the time.
If they've surveyed and quoted correctly, unless theres any hidden nastys, they should have considered everything needed.

Suppose they could argue that a gas feed increase from 15 to 22 mm was not obvious at the time

The clue is in the wording and whether it's a quote or an estimate. My understanding is -

A quote is a price for a job to be completed, it is the total cost and once agreed I believe it is legally binding that it is the price to be paid, unless T&C's mention otherwise.

An estimate is just that, the price is estimated and may change. It would normally be detailed (T&C's again) that the cost may change, if other unseen/unknown items are required.

Sponsored Links
You could argue that if fitting like for like then the assumption is everything existing is correct.

I'm guessing other quotes have mentioned the gas and this one hasn't, so you might get a freebie?

The company should know if the boiler they are fitting requires a 22mm gas feed or not.
If they don't, then steer well clear.

I thought that they had to do a test on the gas feed pipe to see. 19kw system boiler, what r the chances of it needing a 22mm feed, I know that a lot of it is down to no of bends and length from meter etc

I thought that they had to do a test on the gas feed pipe to see. 19kw system boiler, what r the chances of it needing a 22mm feed, I know that a lot of it is down to no of bends and length from meter etc

Switching from an open vented system, to a combi or increasing the size of a combi - often involves the need for a larger gas supply pipe.

its open vented 11kw to a system boiler, installer suggesting 19kw, that's nearly up there with a small combi 23kw

If you were to go for the 11kW your existing gas pipe would almost certainly be fine, as would the output of the boiler for your home.

That being said, legally speaking a quote is a fixed price and they can't add extras on to it. With no T&Cs they have put themselves in a weak position if they try to say otherwise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back