BG boiler replacement quote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

BG have just qouted me £2,400 for a combi replacement (W/B 28i Junior). This includes upgrading the gas pipe to 22mm, wireless room stat, magnaclean filter, powerflush and earth bonding etc. Estimated 2 days work. Does this sound a reasonable price?

The Doctor

Sponsored Links
How long's the gas pipe?
How long's the flue?
WHat have you got now?

If you have an existing combi I would be looking to charge about £1700-£1800 + VAT, but for a better quality Vaillant 831 boiler.

Chris,

About 5 metres and they want to reroute outside the house to avoid ripping up floorboards.

Flue is short, about 2 ft.

Current boiler is a Halstead Quattro 14 years old (on it's 3rd diverter valve!).

The Doctor

Sponsored Links
Then definatley as in my post above and that includes a full chemical flush and cleanse.

Realistically it would be £1500-£1600 + 17.5% VAT then £200 + VAT @ 5%.

I didn't take a liking to the BG surveyor bloke as he reminded me of a double glazing salesman, had bad breath and did a lot of "tapping" on his laptop. I eventually got rid of him after 2 hours. :)

The Doctor

Sounds about right, some of my customers have had them all evening 3 hours plus and when they say no or they'll think about it they get really nasty :eek:

I like to be in and out within 30 mins, unless the customer has lots of questions, then I post a written quote and never contact the customer again. It's their money and up to them then.

I also guarantee all my quotes for 30 days, so the customr is not under any pressure to make a quick decision, especially if it is a liitle old man or lady on their own, in this case I always make sure to tell them to discuss it with relatives of friends first.

Then definatley as in my post above and that includes a full chemical flush and cleanse.

Realistically it would be £1500-£1600 + 17.5% VAT then £200 + VAT @ 5%.

I'm missing something here gas4you, what is rated at 5%??

Energy efficient controls ie, room stat, timer/programmer, trv's, zone vales etc.

Most of my quotes include around £350 - £500 at 5% VAT.

Strangely if you get a VAT inspection they will have a go at you just as much for charging 17.5% where it should be 5% as they would for you fiddling :eek:

Crumbs, thanks for that, I really didn't know that.. the VAT man threw a wobbler at me last time for charging 5% for DX heat pumps untill he checked up.. Keeping up with all this stuff is another challenge for a mere one man and his dog band..

Doing my VAT returns now...Oh Joy :rolleyes:

Another one is that if your customer qualifies for any grant, in full or part, then the whole job is at 5%.

is it 5% just on new installs what about replacing zone valve room stat ect

Could keep asking questions - we could make a FAQ out of this!
So the flu is a standard on, elbow atop the boiler then straight out?
Is the flue near any window/pipe/obstruction/boundary/corner/eaves?
Which floor is it on?
Is the flue going to be pointing to a boundary which is within 2.4 metres?
Where is the boiler?:
  • which room
    in a cupoard
    in a loft
    low down
    in a tight space
How is its electrical supply arranged at present?
How far away is the nearest accessible drain/waste/gulley?
Is there currently a room thermostat?
Do you currently have thermostatic valves at least in the bedrooms?
Do you have any old/leaky rad valves?

Don't know the answer to that one. Will need a call to VAT man.

Note though, unless you ask and get your reply in an official written letter from them it is not deemed to be 100% legally correct :rolleyes:

Sounds about right, some of my customers have had them all evening 3 hours plus and when they say no or they'll think about it they get really nasty :eek:

Not casting doubt on it but it certainly isn't the rule, they have 2 hours per quote to survey and price it all including travelling and as the engineers they are set up with a certain number of jobs to fill their day so they have no reason to hard sell. They are salesmen of course so some may be more 'old school' sales than others.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back