What do you think of this BG quote???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have 3 bed property. 4 rads upstairs/1 (will be 3) downstairs, on a gravity fed condensing boiler system.

I want to replace with combi boiler system. Need two extra rads (one vertical) downstairs. I received the following BG quote yesterday, and wondered what those in the know thought. Quote totals £4284.63 which includes the £400 discount BG were offering in conjunction with Worcester. I've no doubt this is overpriced but just wondered if there's any experts out there who knew better!

BOILER
Worcester Greenstar 28i combi boiler £863.34 (£463.34 with discount)

STANDARD BOILER REPLACEMENT - £1,642.25
1 Year Comp homecare 100
horizontal flue terminal
external condensate connection
conventional to combi boiler repl installation
connect boiler electrics and test
worc 28i jnr/28SI MK11 filling loop

CUSTOMISATION & COMPLIANCE - £501.28
Install mini pressue expansion vessel
flue plume displacement kit
install black plastic pipe (32mm x 3m)
building work (cutting hole thru brickwork for flue)
clear route for installation
waste collection and disposal

SYSTEM RELIABILITY - £704
install hydroflow HS38 scale reducer
system water treatment and powerflush
install 22mm magnetic system filer

HOME ENHANCEMENT - £895
stelrad compact k2 radiator, supply and fit
install copper pipe (15mm x 3m)
MHS matrix vl rad, supply and fit
install copper pipe (15mm x 6m)

Sponsored Links
Hilarious as usual, £400 taken off £1600 added.

Unless this is one of their diferred payment schemes, You can beat this quote easily, I would have thought by £2000 :LOL:

Get a recomended independant, ask your mates or a local Plumbers merchant. And take up references offered.

You must know what you're going to get with a BG quote. Just get on with it and get 2 independent like for like quotes. Some may come in £2000 less, but they must be desperate for work and what sort of warranty will they offer and more importantly.....honour?

What guarantee are BG offering? Lifetime on the Pflush, if you stay with them. And 1 year Homecare.

You get 3 years warranty from worcester anyway, and they are only replacing 2 rads - the others will not be covered.

As for like4like; do they need a Hydroflow? Why are they paying twice for the condense? Who charges for drilling the flue?(bet they use the old hole anyhow)

Sponsored Links
Unless this is one of their diferred payment schemes, You can beat this quote easily, I would have thought by £2000 :LOL:

Get a recomended independant, ask your mates or a local Plumbers merchant. And take up references offered.

Should read:

Get a recomended DESPERATE independant,

I thought as much. I did say to the BG salesman that was here that I suspected their price would be 40% more than an independent. Got a bunch of garbage back that no other engineer would spend 2.5 hrs surveying your current system, testing bar pressure, blah blah (he actually spent 2hr 15mins on his laptop bashing keys. Since noticed the small print for powerflush - only guaranteed if you continue with the homecare package (which I'd never do anyway).

We're quite new to the area and don't really know anyone yet that have had their systems replaced in order to get a recommendation. I would much much prefer to go the recommended route than pluck a number from the corgi register. I really want to do get this done properly.

I'm not sure why they recommended the hydraflow (what is it anyhow....to do with limescale?), but we are in a hardwater area.

I was thinking that the quote I got, perhaps I could have all the rads replaced and still have change using someone other than BG!

When you get quotes ask about a proper water softener if the water is that hard, but you may need a different boiler - not all worcesters will accept softened water.

Ask local merchants, they will have dealt with people for years, and will have a good idea of their reputation. Still take up references, as some may be paying comission.

thx beerlover. will do.

expertgasman - what do you mean 'find a desperate independent'??

thx beerlover. will do.

I meant that beerlover is talking out of his ar5e. I wouldn't go near that spec for £1900 + vat, and he is trying to give you the impressiopn that that is the going rate. You MAY find someone to do that for you, but they would have to be desperate.

The clue (apart from his username) is in his assertion that you should get a "proper" water softener. NO you shouldn't, not for the heating.

gthats not to sayt that you SHOULD use BG, or pay over 4K

Get a Polish company in , way less cost with just as good quality, they wont be ''desperate'' but they know the value of money and wont rip you off.

Get a Polish company in , way less cost with just as good quality, they wont be ''desperate'' but they know the value of money and wont rip you off.

Some where there is a village that could do with your service, but not as a plumber....... :rolleyes:

thx beerlover. will do.

I meant that beerlover is talking out of his a**e. I wouldn't go near that spec for £1900 + vat, and he is trying to give you the impressiopn that that is the going rate. You MAY find someone to do that for you, but they would have to be desperate.

The clue (apart from his username) is in his assertion that you should get a "proper" water softener. NO you shouldn't, not for the heating.

gthats not to sayt that you SHOULD use BG, or pay over 4K

Just done a rough spec;

Top notch 30 Kw boiler
Plume kit
TF1 filter
Rads and valves say £200
Copper and fittings
Chemicals
Plastics
A bit of cable and bonding = £1,550

That leaves roughly £734 for a day and a bit labour, if you are quick enough and the instal is straight forward. But have not seen the job and was talking in best case senario.

You will notice I left off the Hydroflow which is to suposidly stop limescale formation in the plate heat exchanger. A water softener would do this properly. What prey tell did tou think it was for and maybe you should go back and fit them to the proper pipes. :LOL:

Yeah do that what a f@@king dxxk, all insured, registered and would defiantly honor a warrantee? You as a user know quality doubt it I've had to sort out loads of juck the euro squad have had a bash at, thatbloke more like tight Fu@k, I know the value of money and I don't find living in a semi slum with twenty of my mate a great night in to be fair hope you get sacked off at your job and replaced by a pol who is probably cheaper and better than you!

Back on corse it is steep and you are paying for a few things twice by the read of it but it's bg so expected, ask your new neighbors, or check a trade if you want some back ground info.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back