New Boiler quotes/suggestions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've just received some quotes for installing a new boiler in my home, and not only do they vary massively on price, but also the equipment being suggested. I would appreciate your comments/thoughts.

My house has 5 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms and is occupied by both myself, my wife and three sons aged 15, 13 and 9. Two of the bathrooms are used simultaneously each morning, but our current 11 year old boiler (Saunier Duval Thelia Twin 28e) can only cope with supplying water/pressure to one shower at a time and any attempt to use a 2nd shower simultaneously, or turning on any other taps results in reduced pressure.

It is vital that the new system meets the following criteria:
- More efficient and reliable
- Cheaper to run
- MUST PROVIDE ENOUGH WATER/PRESSURE FOR TWO SHOWERS SIMULTANEOUSLY

The first quote was provided by a well know, large UK organisation, who also measured the flow rate as 20l/min at 1 bar. They said the mains pressure was extremely good (can't remember if they provided me with a figure, but 7 bar seems to spring to mind!):

Boiler: Worcester Greenstar Highflow 440 CDi High Efficiency £2081.72

Horizontal flue terminal: £188.56
Combi for Combi Boiler Replacement Installation £614.69
Connect Boiler Electrics & Test £158.62
£961.87
Install mini pressure expansion vessel £69.38
Flue plume displacement kit £105.07
Flue plume displacement 1 mtr extension x 2 £64.08
Flue plume displacement 93' elbow £45.00
Condensate waste to external soil pipe £28.21
Install black plastic pipe (32mm x 3mtrs) x 2 £66.08
External condensate connection £52.16
Install copper pipe (15mm x 3mtrs) x 2 £89.60
Install copper pipe (22mm x 3mtr) x 2 £107.66
Install copper gas pipe work (22mm x 3mtr) £53.83
Insulate heating system pipe x 4 £25.84
Insulate heating system pipe x 4 £22.20
Other building work £147.39
Install boiler auto by pass £245.10
Waste collection and disposal £41.12
£1,162.72
Install Magnaclean Professional 22mm magnetic filter £218.55
System water treatment and powerflush £505.18
£723.73
Total price inc. VAT £4,930.04

The second quote is from a local company. This company didn't measure the flow rate or pressure, but did turn taps on around the house and made an assumption of what the measurements were!

Worcester Bosch 37cdi boiler
Standard Flue
Programmable room stat
powerflush system
X100 inhibitor
Total price inc. VAT: £2,895

When I called this local company back to inform of the measured flow rate, they suggested that maybe the Worcester Bosch 42cdi would probably be better as this can handle a continuous flow rate of 17l/min.

The third quote is from a local plumber who discussed the installation of an unvented cylinder (megaflow) and system boiler. This was partly as a result of him fitting this type of system for a friend of mine who lives in the same area. He didn't take any measurements, but assumed we would be getting the same as my friend. I haven't yet received any prices from him.

One concern I have about the 440 high flow boiler is that it has an internal water storage and that once this is depleted the boiler will not be able to continue to supply the same flow/pressure to two showers operating simultaneously as it only has a 29.2kW output, compared to the continuous 42kW output of the 42cdi.

A few questions spring to mind:
- Would we benefit from a Megaflow system with 20l/min flow rate or is this just too expensive an alternative for any small benefit it might give over a larger boiler?
- Which system would be best suitable to drive two showers simultaneously.

Sponsored Links
The only sure fire way of feeding two showers at the same time is to use a stored hot water system.

our current 11 year old boiler (Saunier Duval Thelia Twin 28e) can only cope with supplying water/pressure to one shower at a time and any attempt to use a 2nd shower simultaneously, or turning on any other taps results in reduced pressure.
Changing the boiler will have no effect. If you cannot feed two showers simultaneously without the pressure reducing, it's because the dynamic pressure is not enough.

The first quote was provided by a well know, large UK organisation, who also measured the flow rate as 20l/min at 1 bar. They said the mains pressure was extremely good (can't remember if they provided me with a figure, but 7 bar seems to spring to mind!):
Sounds as if they only measured the static pressure.

The third quote is from a local plumber who discussed the installation of an unvented cylinder (megaflow) and system boiler.
Unvented cylinder and system boiler is a sensible suggestion. You then size the boiler for the heating requirement, not the hot water requirement.
The disadvantage is that you have to find a location for the cylinder and there would be pipework changes.

Thanks for the comments. I must confess I'm steering towards the Megaflow +system boiler and always have been, based on my friend having this installed and working.

Can you tell me what the difference is between dynamic pressure and static pressure? Is there any way to test these without expert equipment?

With a property of your size, I would always recommend a system boiler and unvented cyclinder.

I would think you will require about 260l cylinder.

Static pressure is the reading you get when testing at the tap with nothing else on.

Dynamic, or sometimes called, working pressure, is the pressure reading at one tap whilst you are running another cold tap.

In a perfect world you would need a minimum of 20l/m and over 3.5 bar to get the best out of an un-vented cylinder.

If this is not achievable, you could also consider having an accumulator fitted.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the comments. I must confess I'm steering towards the Megaflow +system boiler and always have been, based on my friend having this installed and working.

Can you tell me what the difference is between dynamic pressure and static pressure? Is there any way to test these without expert equipment?

Where in Yorkshire are you?

Hi, I am in a similar situation, and any help would be appreciated, I have a 4 bed 2bath & 1 ensuite. I am looking for a system boiler and unvented cylinder - have had quotes which all vary by quite a lot.
I am torn between a Worcester Bosch 30cdi boiler & unvented cylinder, or a Vailant ecotec 630 & u/v cylinder. I have good water pressure, approx 21lps, which boiler would be the better boiler between the two?
I have read good and bad reviews for both boilers, which is making things very difficult.

Also, the unvented cylinder - do I buy a branded make, or something like a plumb centre own brand - is there much difference between them.

Any suggestions.

thanks everyone.

Both the Vaillant and worcester are decent boilers, so take your pick.. I have moved from fitting Worcesters to Vaillant, so that is what I would suggest.

A combi on a three bathroom or a two and an en suite?... They're barking mad!

Hi, I ended up going for all Vaillant equipment:

Vaillant ecoTEC 637 plus system boiler
Vaillant Unistore 260 unvented cylinder
Vaillant VR65 Control Centre
Vaillant VRC 430 Digital Weather Compensation Controller
Magnaclean Filter

It cost £3250 for installation and came with a 2 year warranty, which I'm hoping to increase to 5 years. It was all installed by a local Vaillant registered installer so the annual service shouldn't be a problem.

I decided to go with Vaillant as their equipment is good quality and looks good and because it was possible to have a single controller installed in our hallway (replacing the old programmable thermostat), which controls everything: hot water, heating and is a programmable thermostat. If I had gone for a mixed system i.e. Worcester Bosch boiler + other make of unvented cylinder it would have been necessary to have multiple controllers installed near the equipment, which is in the garage.

The unistore cylinder is one of the best looking in my opinion, which is an advantage with it being in the garage as I see it every day!

So far I'm really pleased with the result and the shower pressure is now superb even with two showers running simultaneously.

I have good water pressure, approx 21l.p.s, which boiler would be the better boiler between the two?

thanks everyone.

21 litres per second is a FLOW rate and NOT a pressure!

The hot water flow through a shower and combi will be less!

You need to measure the dynamic flow rate at say 1 Bar and assume that you will need 10 li/min for each bathroom you want to use at the same time.

Dont expect many installers to have a good idea of any of this kind of thing! You have got to try to understand it yourself and make sure you end up with something that meets your requirements.

Tony

Well done i am glad you have system you are very happy with,the unvented route is definetly the way to go with multi bathrooms

Yes tony we know you are the only installer here who understands everything about unvented cylinders,considering by your own admission you are more of a repairer of the bargain basement range of boilers,having another sly dig were you?

Many thanks for the replies. Sorry about the water pressure mistake. I know it is the flow rate - sorry. (just upgraded to 25mm mdpe water pipe, so I know the flow is ok

The way things are going, we will probably look towards the Vaillant ecotec 630 system.

Thanks.

Whatever up grades have been done I would never assume any flow rate.

In any case its the dynamic flow rate which matters and it should be measured before any system is specified.

Tony

With a property of your size, I would always recommend a system boiler and unvented cyclinder.

I would think you will require about 260l cylinder.

Static pressure is the reading you get when testing at the tap with nothing else on.

Dynamic, or sometimes called, working pressure, is the pressure reading at one tap whilst you are running another cold tap.

In a perfect world you would need a minimum of 20l/m and over 3.5 bar to get the best out of an un-vented cylinder.

If this is not achievable, you could also consider having an accumulator fitted.
Hi,I have had a awful noise, vibration, when flushing upstairs loo, when using downstairs shower, etc. Does this mean I have low Dynamic pressure?The other day I turned water off and didn,t turn it on fuuly at cock, just cracked it open, resulted in same noise from ballcock or pipe on said loo.ok when I opened cock full.Still noisy when using loo and other tap,etc?Just measured flow rate at mixer tap. 16.5lpm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back