What do you think of this BG quote???

Sponsored Links
Ooop :oops:

Seem to have upset some people on here. May be out of touch, and BG have trimmed their profits, but always halved a BG quote and still made money :LOL:

Sponsored Links
whitespirit - because the cheapskate that owned this property before me has bodged absolutely everything and put in a naff noisy Ravenheat boiler. According to the paperwork that was left behind it was installed in Oct 2007 and I doubt it'll last another winter. I would rather have a combi boiler since my lifestyle suits that sort of system and I don't like the idea of a ton of water in an asbestos tank in the loft. I have now gone straight to the Vaillant website and looked up local installers. Have spoken to four heating engineers today (via RatedPeopled) but just spoken on the phone to the first (via Valliant website) non-cockney sparrow and managed to have a decent conversation without any male chavanist tendancies. What a relevation!

Thank you so much for your input guys. Love the polish videos. Sorry but I only buy British labour. Never have I been so appalled when a heard about a Polish family taking over a shop near some friends of mine and they put a sign in the window 'no british allowed'. What!?

Thx
Paula

Paula ( Essex girl! ), some of the Polish are very careful and competent plumbers and many are getting qualified now.

A trainee a couple of years ago said that about a third on his gas course were Polish!

I have been to a few installations made by properly qualified Polish people and thought they were very good.

Where the Polish go wrong is to do what the builder asks of them when they are not qualified or lack the knowledge.

They are mostly very polite and friendly!

Its a pity the British unemployed dont take a lesson from them! Last summer I saw a Polish standing beside a major London road with a big sign saying " Polish, want job!". He was not there the next day!

Never seen a British looking for a job like that. They prefer to stay at home or in the pub rather than actually looking for a job!

Tony

Always be weary with any offer that seems to center around discounts; the end price on the purchase is the only thing that counts.
Some of the snags in this offer:
"buiding cost" for flue passage ( rediculous to spec that outside boiler install cost )
"free" 100 homecare ( boilers have 2 - 5 years warranty included )

BG have just been fined another £1000,000 for publishing misleading figures; they are leading the score on interventions by the ASA by a margin.

Get a Polish company in , way less cost with just as good quality, they wont be ''desperate'' but they know the value of money and wont rip you off.

Yeah do that what a f@@king dxxk, all insured, registered and would defiantly honor a warrantee? You as a user know quality doubt it I've had to sort out loads of juck the euro squad have had a bash at, thatbloke more like tight Fu@k, I know the value of money and I don't find living in a semi slum with twenty of my mate a great night in to be fair hope you get sacked off at your job and replaced by a pol who is probably cheaper and better than you!

Back on corse it is steep and you are paying for a few things twice by the read of it but it's bg so expected, ask your new neighbors, or check a trade if you want some back ground info.

Thats fresh coming from someone who cannot even spell warranty.
Is that what you put on your invoices? :LOL:
Thats quality right there.

Not all Polish (or East European) workers are bad, However:

The most dangerous job I ever visited was on a Dutch barge conversion project on the Thames. There were three Polish guys living and working there as carpenters. Problem was, to feed and heat themselves, they had a camping stove and Calor gas space heater. Both were being fed by a single 45Kg cylinder connected up with clear plastic pvc tubing. I didn't stay 'onboard' long enough to turn them off :!:

Listened to the local news and didn't hear about any explosions, so I assume they got away with it.

managed to have a decent conversation without any male chavanist tendancies.

Surely there aren't any chavs in Essex. ;)

Seriously, if the system is a lash-up, heated by a Ravenheap, it might be wise to look at some investment.

Seems like you are going about it the right way, by looking at quality boilers and installers.

Good luck

I've had two local independents pop round so far and should have quotes within the next two days. I think Vaillant is the way to go.

However I'm concerned that neither have tested the flow rate, but I did mention that BG chappie had measured just over 1bar with a flow rate of 12 litres per minute. The latter recommended the 831 Vaillant before I mentioned the flow rate. Pipework coming into the house is 15mm in copper so it has been suggested that we replace with 25mm plastic to stop valve in pavement. Could be lead anyway, so I suppose it should be replaced.

I'm guessing all services run under the front door of property (was this common in 1965?), but would anyone know whether I can dig a completely separate pipe run from the stop (existing supply would simply become redundant), down driveway and along the side-return of house to kitchen wall? We can run the pipe ourselves (OH thinks that means 'himself' :LOL: ), with blinding of sand under and over, but....

a) any idea what the water board (in our case Veolia water) would charge to simply make the connection to the stop?
b) how do we go about burrowing through the property wall and then upwards inside kitchen? i.e. do we need to go UNDER the footings (at 750mm or whatever depth) or higher up? No idea of footing depth at this stage. Obviously damp proof will be damaged in process.
c) I have read somewhere that the pipe run should be to a depth between 750mm and 1350mm. Who determines the depth? When I rang Veolia a few weeks back they were as useful as a chocolate teacup.

Sorry, I'm getting greedy with the questions, but you seem a super helpful bunch :LOL:

Thx, Paula

It would be very difficult to imagine a 9mm water supply pipe!

Water pipes have to be below 750 mm under the 1999 Water Regulations!

Its not just a teeth sucking Joe 90 ! Its the regulations!

Tony

whoops, I believe I meant 15mm not 9mm. Thanks for pointing that out.

I appreciate that it is regulations that stipulate a minimum depth (I am not arguing the toss), but I have seen figures of between 750mm and 1350mm' clearly one would prefer not to dig the additional half a metre unless necessary. Perhaps it is determinate of whether the property sits on a slope/soil conditions? No idea. Off to seek water regs doc...

Cheers
Paula

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back