BG boiler replacement quote

To be truthful the BG bloke was only at my house for just over an hour as I was getting twitchy :( . I was quite impressed with his BlueTooth printer.

So the flu is a standard on, elbow atop the boiler then straight out?

Yes

Is the flue near any window/pipe/obstruction/boundary/corner/eaves?

No

Which floor is it on?

Ground

Is the flue going to be pointing to a boundary which is within 2.4 metres?

No

Where is the boiler?:

Kitchen

How is its electrical supply arranged at present?

Fused spur

How far away is the nearest accessible drain/waste/gulley?

2 metres

Is there currently a room thermostat?

Yes - in hall

Do you currently have thermostatic valves at least in the bedrooms?

TRVs in all rooms

Do you have any old/leaky rad valves?

No

The Doctor

Sponsored Links
I should get a new printer and a second quote.

As Gas says, a Vaillant 831 is a better product. iJunior is a cheapie. NB: Some installers are offering 5yrs on these products.

Don't see why you'd need a wireless thermostat if you have a wired one already. Standard quote would be about £1600 inc vat, + £100 for a Magnaclean, in my area.

Are you sure that is the whole bg quote or labour only?, seems dirt cheap to me.

Sponsored Links
Was thinking same myself job i quoted last week Bg wanted £4200 for combi replacement worcester 30cdi and 2 metres of 22mm for gas And wireless optimeser control DT10 ?

Price of £2.4k is inclusive of everything. The BG bloke said that I "MUST" have a timer and boilers do not come with built in timers these days .... hence replacement of my existing room stat with a wireless job which can cope with day and night temps.

I suppose I could get a lower quote if I shopped around but I am reasonably happy with BGs quote.

The Doctor

Price of £2.4k is inclusive of everything. The BG bloke said that I "MUST" have a timer and boilers do not come with built in timers these days .... hence replacement of my existing room stat with a wireless job which can cope with day and night temps.

The Doctor

Yes you have to have time control.

No boilers can be bought with a timer ...............me thinks he was telling porkies!

The BG man initially suggested a "hard wired" time switch below the boiler. He then suddenly changed his tune to the wireless stat/controller/timer in my hall. How much do these cost?

The Doctor

The BG man initially suggested a "hard wired" time switch below the boiler. He then suddenly changed his tune to the wireless stat/controller/timer in my hall. How much do these cost?

The Doctor

Prices quoted by others (about £1500+ mark) seem about right have you had any other quotes? Not that I'm fishing for work ;)
www.ivorygas.uk.com

he I-series is a budget boiler, total cost materials about £800. That leaves 100 quid an hour labour.
If you think that is reasonable, I am happy to offer you a super deal working for a miserly 80 an hour.
:D :LOL: :D ;)

he I-series is a budget boiler, total cost materials about £800. That leaves 100 quid an hour labour.
If you think that is reasonable, I am happy to offer you a super deal working for a miserly 80 an hour.
:D :LOL: :D ;)

I'll do it for £79 an hour ;)

I recently had a quote from BG to install a brand new ch system, w/b junior 24i, hard wired prog room stat, 4 rads, 3 trv's, magnaclean and vertical flue via a pitched roof. Its a third floor 1 bed flat......£4300. Not too bad I thought. Especially as a work collegue told me he had a boiler replacement quote from BG of £6k! I now believe this guy to full of sh1t.

he I-series is a budget boiler, total cost materials about £800. That leaves 100 quid an hour labour. :D :LOL: :D ;)

and you can assume BG will be paying the subbie who installs this boiler for the Dr about £20 an hour. A win-win for everyone. :LOL:

and we're bak onto the bg bashin! bg tend to be a bit more expensive (odd time alot more) but you do get things wat ya smaller company often dnt do such as flushin, magnaclean, free homecare, free itemised quote etc.. all i seem to hear is how bg try n rip people off which often comes from the customer who normally ant got much idea! number of times i've been to people who have had a private plumber in and had a ravenheat fitted for a bit cheaper and wonder why its breaks dwn regular or its performance is rubbish and then i tell um how the prv should be piped to the outside or wateva... and there int many wat are fitted by contractors! me rants ova na, :LOL: jus tryin to make the point its not always as clean cut and dnt believe everythin ya hear

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back