Why do onions linger so badly?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I went out for dinner yesterday and had, amongst other things, a salad. Now, this salad included red onions. Being an advocate of onions I munched away and found it very tasty.

However, despite having carefully brushed my teeth three times since then, and eaten breakfast and lunch, I can still detect onion in my mouth!

Why does it happen? Do onions impregnate themselves in human skin somehow? :mad:

Does anyone have any tips on neutralising onion smell? No-one has commented on my breath but I can taste it and after 18 hours you don't really care for onions so much. :confused:

Sponsored Links
suck on a used teabag, that'll get the taste of onions out of one's mouth :LOL:

Those breath fresheners are no good if you are veggie!

Some kitchenware shops sell a lump of stainless to "wash" your hands with to get rid of the smell, and apparently they work. How about sucking on one?? :LOL:

Being veggie, I eat a lot of onions, mostly cooked, and I have found the only surefire way to make sure you don't stink of onion is not to eat or slice any!!

Christ, they make you f*rt!! Well, if the truth be known, life makes me f*rt......

I made the mistake of making golden french onion soup one night for me, missus and parents-in-law...

The subsequent evening was like an extended scene from Blazing Saddles........ :(

Someone open a window, please.....EUUUURRRGGGHHHHH!!!

Sponsored Links
Eating garlic and onion makes breath smell because they contain sulphur compounds.

Introducing oxygen into the mouth helps as will drinking lots of water. There are a couple of other remedies:

one

chlorine dioxide mouth rinse - YUK!

two

eating oxygen-rich foods such as parsley & celery will help.

This is why parsley features in those breath-freshening pills.

after 8 pints it won't be your breath that people find offensive :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back