Why does onion linger?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Perhaps someone knows:

Why is it that no matter how many times you brush your teeth, you can still detect that you ate onion in the last 24 hours?

I had a kebab last night, and have brushed my teeth three times since but can STILL taste the onion!!! I like onions, but not for a whole day!

And is their anything I can eat/drink that will neutralise the onion taste?

EDIT: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A4075210
the best remedy is thought to be fresh parsley

Sponsored Links
It`s like a lot of pungent things..it kinda lingers :eek:

Kinda lingers, mate.

Waaaait a minute, this is not the nine o'clock news :D

In addition to parsley, apples are good because they too act against the sulphur compounds that linger after eating onions or garlic.

Sponsored Links
Igorian said:
In addition to parsley, apples are good because they too act against the sulphur compounds that linger after eating onions or garlic.

This is right. I like onions, but never eat raw ones because of the linger. I think that is what that Cranberries song was about.

I am never sure how to spell sulphur though. IUPAC recommends 'sulfur' as the official, standardised (standardized?) name. A science journalist friend of mine says "Sulfur for scientific use, Sulphur for Joe Public". I suppose that makes sense. It'll be "Aluminum" next, probably.

notb665 said:
Igorian said:

This is right. I like onions, but never eat raw ones because of the linger. I think that is what that Cranberries song was about.

I am never sure how to spell sulphur though. IUPAC recommends 'sulfur' as the official, standardised (standardized?) name. A science journalist friend of mine says "Sulfur for scientific use, Sulphur for Joe Public". I suppose that makes sense. It'll be "Aluminum" next, probably.

Both Sulfur and Aluminum are indeed the original British spellings of the Elements in question. It's us Brits that changed them to sulphur and aluminium, so we've only ourselves to blame. Unless it's changed in the last few years all British undergrad Chemistry books refer(red) to sulphur and aluminium. Element Mass Nos 32 and 27 if memory serves, and no I didn't look it up, so you are free to prove me wrong !!

raw garlic gets rid of the tast of onions :LOL: but hell ! onions tast great, you must have a senseative pallet cos I can't tast them after even 24 mins, they say that if you rub garlic on the soles of your feet it gives you garlic breath, who the hell finds these things out ? kippers, they stay on your breath for ages more a case of repeating tho.

Its to do with your stomach acids processing certain foods to your bowels

onions dont digest that fast ,so when you burp it lingers in your throat an the nasal cavity gets the full smell with the Doner chilli sauce smell on them onions ,

and as for sweetcorn that doesnt process at all as many plumbers will tell you after clearing that blocked drain ..

AdamW said:
I had a kebab last night,

neutralise the onion taste?

Don't blame the onions, it's the digesting minced udders and scrotes that's to blame.

Sponsored Links
Back