Why do some double socket spark when you switch them on/off

What can I do to make sure that future ones I buy dont spark like that? What brands to consider?

Nothing, it is what all switches do when switching in air, but it should be quite brief. If it is not brief, then it suggests the switch might be worn.

Sponsored Links
What can I do to make sure that future ones I buy dont spark like that? What brands to consider?
Buy sockets without switches or metal ones you can't see through.

As said, though, you must be switching them with a load still on. Switch off the appliance first.

Buy sockets without switches or metal ones you can't see through.

They will still spark, you just will not see the spark.

As said, though, you must be switching them with a load still on. Switch off the appliance first.

Then the appliance switch will spark instead.

Dare I suggest just blinking, when you throw the switch, so you don't see the spark?

Any switch which makes or break when carrying current, will spark, there is no sensible way to avoid the arc as the air and metal in the gap is is ionised.

Sponsored Links
I AM REPLACING THE FAILING MK STUFF WITH CHEAPIES and so far I've found them to be more reliable. We refitted the kitchen about 15 years ago and I decided to use decent stuff, MK DSSO's with neon, purchased 10 for the price break for the 7 required. all 3 spares got used up as replacements and now there is only one left in use.
So far I have not had to replace a Wickes cheapie...

Although my question may have seemed flippant it was actually serious. I thought you may have written them the wrong way round but after your explanation I can fully understand. Sorry if I caused you any offence, it was not meant.

A little spark is OK, it's when it's accompanied by a big bang that you got to worry :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back