Why Do Some Seek Advice, Then Completely Ignore It To Their Cost??

Reaction score
Country
Palau
A bloke in his mid-fifties ask me if I thought the damage on his little car could be repaired by one of those mobile paint/dent people. I said the mobile people if good could remove the dent but the colour match, etc would not be great and to claim on the insurance and get it repaired properly. The car is 9 years old but looks ok and colour hard to match especially when the paint is old. He told me I was right and would do that as others hhad said that as well

Low and behold a couple of days again a PDR van was outside its house. We chatted later he said the PDR was "very good and honest and told him that is was an insurance/repair job if wanted a good finish... hard to match the colour on older paint..." Stupidly the guy pays the PDR xxx amount and now not happy with the finish.

This morning as I popped out for a walk he was going out and told me he was going for an estimate and will decide if to make a claim on his insurance.

The guy had reversed into a bollard and damaged the corner and up to back door

Why do some people seek guidance, then completely ignore it and then go off and do what everyone else told them not to do.

Sure people seek advice and the choice is theirs but when everyone they ask is telling them to do different, they agree then do what they originally wanted to makes no sense. People like that guy, next time he seeks advice, I'll tell him, I know nothing about that subject.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
About 30 years ago a mate asked me to look at a Ford Capri for him. This was about 1992 so the Capri was already an old car. I advised him not to touch it. What did he do? He bought it of course.
It was a 3L automatic and nothing but trouble. It lay in my garage for weeks as it needed all sorts of things. He bought an exhaust for it, it was too short at the front and didn't reach the downpipes. I had to get my blacksmith friend to do some nice welding to make it fit. P.I.T.A.
I haven't looked at a car for anybody since.

Sponsored Links
About 30 years ago a mate asked me to look at a Ford Capri for him. This was about 1992 so the Capri was already an old car. I advised him not to touch it. What did he do? He bought it of course.
It was a 3L automatic and nothing but trouble. It lay in my garage for weeks as it needed all sorts of things. He bought an exhaust for it, it was too short at the front and didn't reach the downpipes. I had to get my blacksmith friend to do some nice welding to make it fit. P.I.T.A.
I haven't looked at a car for anybody since.

Checking out a car for someone has massive pitfalls as per your expereince.

If I do something for anyone, I will declare my skills in those areas and finish off by, the choice is yours!!

This bloke in the OP, it was pathetic getting the mobile repair unit out and now going with his tail between his legs to a garage.

That person on our road, I do try to avoid him as he brags a lot but little substance and others have said "he asks the close, th everyone else and then does what he was not going to do...."

I bet you the bloke left the poor PDR guy a negative review as he is that kind of bloke ie unfair. I actually did say to him, why did he tell the PDR chap to try and repair when the PDR man had told him the repair would bot be 100% or close. Incredible.

It's just human nature, so what? Like someone posting witha a lot of I, I, I, me me, me - as if anyone cared about the attention-seeking cockwomble.

Back