People that ask for advice and then ignore it....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
does anyone else get frustrated by this?

i have a couple of examples, all with my brother and his wife, both intelligent people but lack in common sense / real life skills.

example 1, i had a new boiler installed with smart this that and the other, all opentherm etc we spoke about the costs savings it appears to have worked out for me. 6 months later they are converting their bungalow to a house. need a new boiler, ask me for advice. i said fit the brand the installer advises and he is on their approved list for warranty, they say they want a similar heating to mine with the opentherm etc, so i spent time speaking to their installer, installer said he's fitting vaillant and that they do a good controller with an opentherm type thing that can have trvs fitted etc, is a little pricey but he'll do a package deal... spoke to brother and his partner over the moon.

spoke to him a couple of weeks later, brother tells me he ended up going for the nest stat as it looked better, i said what about the smart efficient stuff you wanted like the smart TRV's etc, he response was, yeah but the nest looked better....

example 2, their car (nissan almera tino) burnt oil, i looked at it and said its the piston rings in cylinder 2 have gone, the car had just passed it's mot and they wanted to get a new car anyway, so i said trade this in and get the new car, it'll only get worse and cost a fortune in oil. i said i could repair it but time isnt on my side and i couldnt do it in the timescale they needed, it would cost around £250-300 in spares, garages were quoting 1k+.

a whole year went by with them moaning about the car smoking and how much oil they were having to put in it and they couldn't trust it to go on long journey's. then the MOT came round again and it failed on emissions, they then complained about it not passing and what can i do to help them, i literally hit my head on the table, explained to them they've had a whole year to get this sorted and they've done bugger all about it, lucky i knew an mot tester that was willing to do me a favour and fudged the test, a further 10 months went by with me reminding them regularly it wont pass again and they need to get it sorted.

i just think to myself why even bother asking and wasting my time if your going to do your own thing anyway..

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
does anyone else get frustrated by this?

i have a couple of examples, all with my brother and his wife, both intelligent people but lack in common sense / real life skills.

example 1, i had a new boiler installed with smart this that and the other, all opentherm etc we spoke about the costs savings it appears to have worked out for me. 6 months later they are converting their bungalow to a house. need a new boiler, ask me for advice. i said fit the brand the installer advises and he is on their approved list for warranty, they say they want a similar heating to mine with the opentherm etc, so i spent time speaking to their installer, installer said he's fitting vaillant and that they do a good controller with an opentherm type thing that can have trvs fitted etc, is a little pricey but he'll do a package deal... spoke to brother and his partner over the moon.

spoke to him a couple of weeks later, brother tells me he ended up going for the nest stat as it looked better, i said what about the smart efficient stuff you wanted like the smart TRV's etc, he response was, yeah but the nest looked better....

example 2, their car (nissan almera tino) burnt oil, i looked at it and said its the piston rings in cylinder 2 have gone, the car had just passed it's mot and they wanted to get a new car anyway, so i said trade this in and get the new car, it'll only get worse and cost a fortune in oil. i said i could repair it but time isnt on my side and i couldnt do it in the timescale they needed, it would cost around £250-300 in spares, garages were quoting 1k+.

a whole year went by with them moaning about the car smoking and how much oil they were having to put in it and they couldn't trust it to go on long journey's. then the MOT came round again and it failed on emissions, they then complained about it not passing and what can i do to help them, i literally hit my head on the table, explained to them they've had a whole year to get this sorted and they've done bugger all about it, lucky i knew an mot tester that was willing to do me a favour and fudged the test, a further 10 months went by with me reminding them regularly it wont pass again and they need to get it sorted.

i just think to myself why even bother asking and wasting my time if your going to do your own thing anyway..
Maybe they seek a range of advice and go with the one that a) suits their presumptions, and b) that they value the most and c) suits their budget.

I suspect they ask, but want your advice to align with their ideas. My Moto is be patient with people who offer advice for free and careful with whom you pay for advice. A friend of mine received a totally baseless IP claim, I wrote a response FoC and found out two weeks later he'd paid the claim, because he didn't want the agro. I said, you'll get more like that as you'll be on the suckers list now.

Sponsored Links
We had one some big I am son who insisted in soecifying his fathers heating system

2 bedroom bungalow
1 shower room with a leccy shower
2 elderly parents

he specified a
300 litre thermal store for hot water and 6 rads :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

the old boy has to heat up 300 litres of water to use a basin and hot tap in a sink

throw in one of the than new baxi condensing back boiler a total turkey

it cost the old boy thousands in gas over the years hundreds in parts for a boiler they stopped making

his dopey son a surveyor for some local council is and was a total
T*t

I suspect they ask, but want your advice to align with their ideas.

Yeah, absolutely..

Happens a lot with work aswell,

Client. What would you recommend we do to fix the problem?

Me. You need to check the watsit, then have a look at the thingy mabob, and replace the broken widget screw

Client. Ok thanks. We'll replace the doodaa and see how that goes first...

:confused::mad:

[
*looks at his Nest thermostat*
*looks at his smart TRVs*
*shrugs*

Yes but it's not intuitive and it's making things work with each other and having a seperate gateway

Only way I can see it works is to have the mihome gateway and energenie trv's, and it's not as good a setup as a proper proprietary kit similar to the likes of vaillants own gear or the wiser or the evohome, or even the tado.

The energenie trv's cannot call for heat and the apps not very good. It works to a fashion but not as one would wish.

The Viessmann server controlling there vicare set up crashed

in many instances the boilers did not work

as the t*t who designed it did not include an over ride button :confused:

One of the only gizmos I have ever seen on a boiler that had a decent use was a duffer button on a ravenheat combi

think of the chaos there could be in a cashless society :)

[

Yes but it's not intuitive and it's making things work with each other and having a seperate gateway

Only way I can see it works is to have the mihome gateway and energenie trv's, and it's not as good a setup as a proper proprietary kit similar to the likes of vaillants own gear or the wiser or the evohome, or even the tado.

The energenie trv's cannot call for heat and the apps not very good. It works to a fashion but not as one would wish.
This is true, although I use Tado, if anything the app is better than the Nest App.

They can't call for heat from the Nest, nor do I believe can it do modulated heating. But there's around 6 or more different smart systems in my house, so one more wasn't a big deal.

Plus the Valiant smart control looks awful. It's the 2020s now, having a device that's 95% bezel isn't ok anymore.

Thread was started for others to share there frustration and stories of similar ilk

When you give an opinion or advice, others see thiss as a statement of fact in direct opposite of their own opinion and start getting squirrelly.

In a society where tolerance is being enforced rather than encouraged, we are becoming less so.

Having a difference of opinion means you have thought about it and thinking is dangerous. Coming to conclusions that goes against the flow, especially so.

So, it's not the what the recipient does with advice or opinion that is the problem, it is that advice or opinion is being offered. If that advice goes against the flow, it shorts out the listeners brain.

People very rarely look past the cover if a book. If you offer to show them the contents, it's too much for them.

I suspect if you asked half a dozen experts, on any range of issues, you'd end up with half a dozen different recommendations.

Didn't Oscar Wilde have a saying regarding advice?

"The best thing to do with advice is to listen carefully and then utterly disregard it"

Can't quite remember...

My wife often asks my advice on clothes then does the opposite.
"Should I buy this?" "No". She buys it
"Should I buy this?" "Yes". "I must look like a tart" and she doesn't buy it.

Sponsored Links
Back