Sponging parasite loses benefits, ordered to seek work

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
Julie Rodger's husband forgot to attend a meeting so he said she was given a P45 and told to go to work.

He said that he explained what had happened as soon as he realised they had missed the appointment.

However, he got a reply to say that the reason was not good enough and Julie would no longer be receiving financial support.

Julie is a tetraplegic due to hypoxic brain damage and can’t do anything for herself.

Metro reports that "A spokesman for the Department Work and Pensions said they were looking into the case."

Explaining his oversight, Mr Rodger wrote: ‘I received the letter asking for Julie to attend an interview.

‘I put that letter in a safe place and on the morning of the interview I forgot all about it, I received a letter to explain why she didn’t attend, so I told the truth and said that I had forgotten, they sent out a reply stating that they were not accepting my reason and removed Julie from her benefit, I appealed for the decision to be changed and a new interview to take place, yesterday I received there reply that they were sticking to the original decision and removed Julies benefits.’

The periodic reviews are presumably in case she has got better and become fit to join the labour force.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/09/18/paral...t-a-job-after-husband-missed-meeting-6935576/

2016 figures showed ‘that more than half of disabled people who appealed their “fit to work” assessment eventually got the decision overturned’. This clearly suggests that the DWP’s decisions are widely incorrect.

Though those who are cut off may eventually get the benefits they are rightly entitled to back, what about the time where these people are left cut off from money, support systems and are ordered to get a job? These mindless decisions can have a devastating impact.

In April, a mother jumped in front of a train after asking:

“What have I got to do? Top myself to get help for my son?”

Her severely autistic son had been completely stripped of his benefits support system.

In another case, Jodey Whiting killed herself after her benefits were cut off for missing just one appointment. Her family wholeheartedly believe that the DWP were the trigger that led to Jodey’s suicide.

Sponsored Links
Bit harsh heading this with "sponging parasite"? Sounds more like a case of "tossers at the dole office".

Sponsored Links
He was being sarcastic. So John has finally started a thread that is relevant, but not political - although I'm sure he'll fnd a way to twist it - yaahh, he just has, suurprise surprise. There's no question that the company running these assesments have an agenda to get people off benefits, but they seem to apply it regardless of the persons situation. It should be obvious to any moron, that a tetraplegic is not easily going to get a job, and they should accept that her partner could well have simply forgotten the appointment, and reschduled it; so their refusal to do so suggest a coldness that's near to immaginable.

But whilst I can't defend what they did, and obviously do in over half the cases that get overturned, I know enough people where I live that know how to fiddle the system, and boast about the disabled car they have etc (and one does Karate each week), and you see the "disabled" people get out of their car and walk round the supermarket with a just walking stick in their hand that they never seem to need. Yet you're not supposed to be able to walk more than 20M if you're disabled.

There's no question that the company running these assesments have an agenda to get people off benefits, but they seem to apply it regardless of the persons situation.

'mmmm, a company working for a government agency.

I wonder where the rules and instructions come from.

From the MD I suspect. The government will undoubtably have told them to cut down the numbers on disability (which would be too blunt an instruction) and they're are more than likely getting paid by results. The MD and management will have told them to how ruthless they can be to implement the governments intentions. There have been a lot of these situations recently where the contracts have then been removed from the operatives after these sort of scandals have been uncovered.

"In September 2013 leaked documents showed that Duncan Smith was looking at "how to make it harder for sick and disabled people to claim benefits". Duncan Smith was advised that it would be illegal to introduce secondary legislation, which does not require parliament's approval, in order to give job centre staff more powers to make those who were claiming Employment and Support Allowance undertake more tests to prove that they were making a serious effort to come off benefits and find a job. The powers being discussed also included "forcing sick and disabled people to take up offers of work." DWP staff would also have the power to strip claimants with serious, but time-limited health conditions, of benefits if they refuse the offer of work.[38]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iain_Duncan_Smith#Disability_benefits_policy

"In September 2013 leaked documents showed that Duncan Smith was looking at "how to make it harder for sick and disabled people to claim benefits". Duncan Smith was advised that it would be illegal to introduce secondary legislation, which does not require parliament's approval, in order to give job centre staff more powers to make those who were claiming Employment and Support Allowance undertake more tests to prove that they were making a serious effort to come off benefits and find a job. The powers being discussed also included "forcing sick and disabled people to take up offers of work." DWP staff would also have the power to strip claimants with serious, but time-limited health conditions, of benefits if they refuse the offer of work.[38]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iain_Duncan_Smith#Disability_benefits_policy

This horrible attitude that is permeating our society has to end. There are people who are capable of working but are not and those who are not and never will be. If we want a society that treats its most vulnerable as a cost that needs to be eradicated or removed then we are regressing as a country.

It's shameful the way people are treated who are on benefits. To dehumanise them only makes us all poorer.

his horrible attitude that is permeating our society has to end. There are people who are capable of working but are not and those who are not and never will be

I agree, but the problem is sorting out those who can't work, and those who can, but fiddle the system and lie, so they don't have to.

Then there are those who are entitled to benefits/ help who do not get it ?

There are thousands (?) of pensioners in the UK who are bringing up there grand children due to dck ead kids who have dumped or abandoned there children onto there parents

woman not far from my works fell out with her daughter , who was a dead beat come drug addict , dumped her 4 year old on social services , just left him there.

The grand mother found out & went and got him 68 years old at the time , has had to get a part time job to supplement her pension to bring the child up

I agree, but the problem is sorting out those who can't work, and those who can, but fiddle the system and lie, so they don't have to.

The problems of those who are capable but work shy is no way as large as is made out - its the media and government making it out as such. Just like the BS about foreign tourists using the NHS - the facts and fiction pushed by the media.

Sponsored Links
Back