Sponging parasite loses benefits, ordered to seek work

your previous track record of opinions on this subject which have all been in favour of policy that targets private landlords.

Wrong.

I am in favour of homeowning citizens.

If tax treatment of people who invest in BTL has been more generous than treatment of people who invest in other things, I'm all for levelling the field.

Sponsored Links
If they sell their stock of homes, somebody else will buy them.
Yes, corporate or foreign buyers to whom the new rules do not apply.

It can be assumed that this is the only purpose of Osborne's (and now Hammond's) new rules.

if all the scratters did not cheat the system for donkeys years it would not of come to this...blame all the lazy lefty unwashed layabouts not the govt

There is a housing shortage because Thatcher permitted councils to sell off their stock at massively reduced rates

Actually, Thatchers always blamed for selling off the housing stock, but if you did a dissertation on it, you'd find it not so straightforward. People complained that there was no longer so much housing stock for social tenants, but those tenants wouldn't have moved, so the council stopped receiving rent, but had no more responsibilities for that property, yet had funds to then replace them. The real question, is did they. Discounts should never have been given if the money received from the sale, was less than that required to build a new property. Before Thatcher, renting was as common in England, as it was in most European countries, so is it really a retrograde step going back to that situation.

It was actually Cameron that pushed up house prices with his help to buy scheme and QE that gave a cheap mortgages, and Carney that then dropped them to record lows. Now I don't know if Osborne was trying to cool the BTL market, or just to raise extra revenue, but there will be a load of properties put on the market in the next couple of years as the interest rates are removed the tax breaks, and that's going to push house prices down.

Sponsored Links
There would be more people working, and less on benefits. Working families are okay in the private housing sector, but the private sector doesn't want benefit tenants any longer, except the council doesn't have enough social housing to handle them all, so many end up in temporary accomodation as a result.

There would be more people working, and less on benefits. Working families are okay in the private housing sector, but the private sector doesn't want benefit tenants any longer, except the council doesn't have enough social housing to handle them all, so many end up in temporary accomodation as a result.

But with low wages and tax credits - are not many people on benefits. With more job insecurity, people may have to go on benefits as they seek work - they can't just leave their homes because they lost their job or hours worked.

It's an interesting point you make Kankerot. Whilst technically, working families tax credit is in deed a benefit, it's only given to those that work. Benefit tenants are those that don't bother to work, even if they'd then receive the tax credits, or those that can't/won't get a job, and therein lies the difference.

It was actually Cameron that pushed up house prices with his help to buy scheme and QE that gave a cheap mortgages, and Carney that then dropped them to record lows.

Really? My first house all but tripled in price in eight years of Tony B. Liar, and I did little more than redecoration.

Actually, Thatchers always blamed for selling off the housing stock, Discounts should never have been given if the money received from the sale, was less than that required to build a new property.
Yet it was possible to buy your council house - at a fair price - before Thatcher's giveaway. I only have anecdotal evidence because one family on our small semi rural estate bought theirs in the 60's - I do remember the reaction of many parents, it was amazement as to why they would. Us kids didn't care ;)

Thatcher's intention was to increase the proportion of tory-voting homeowners and reduce the number of labour-voting tenants. It had the added bonus of weakening local councils.

Shirley Porter went further and was found to have acted illegally.

Now that many of those homes have fallen into the hands of BTL landlords this policy no longer works, so the tory government is trying to tip the balance towards owner occupiers by being less generous to landlords.

Yet it was possible to buy your council house - at a fair price - before Thatcher's giveaway. I only have anecdotal evidence because one family on our small semi rural estate bought theirs in the 60's - I do remember the reaction of many parents, it was amazement as to why they would. Us kids didn't care ;)
right to buy was in the 80s so buying a house in the 60s would be a normal private sale :D
thatcher stopped councils reinvesting from the sale off council so councils now had surplaces they could not spend
and there lies the double whamy
turning labour voters into home owners so less likely to strike as they now have a mortgage
and because the councils now have a surpluce there grant aid from central government was reduced by the same amount as the excess with this money used to bribe people with tax cuts rather than reinvest in society with housing or other infristucture projects

.... the housing stock, but if you did a dissertation on it, ...., so the council stopped receiving rent, ........ yet had funds to then replace them. The real question, is did they.
NO. Thatcher forbad them from doing so.

thatcher stopped councils reinvesting from the sale off council (houses) so councils now had surplaces they could not spend
Perhaps you should do your own dissertation before making silly comments. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Back