Why do they do it!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all,

My debacle from the weekend......

Sunday the wife asks me to lay some new lino type flooring in the bathroom as she wants to tart the room up a bit while we haven't got the money to do a complete changeover.

2-3 hour job I thinks and crack on with pulling up the old bright blue carpet tiles. I'm left with the 3mm hard board which was all in good condition and just needed a few more pins here and there to take away any bounce.

So I get banging with the hammer and pins. Now, the nails were marginally longer than needed, but were all I had and were only about 3mm more than thickness of floorboards so should be no danger of pipes etc.

So almost there a couple more to whack in. Hold on, is that a hiss I here?? Off goes radio. YEP, It's a bloody hiss. So I begin the run around like a loony bit and turn off water, pull up hard board, cut floor boards etc.

Up comes the floor board and woohoo I have three fountains!!!....

Why do they do it? Right up against the bottom of the floorboard!

Sponsored Links
Sorry do you mean why do plumbers fit pipes too near the surface or why do people bang nails in the floor without checking where the pipes are?

So there is a minimal loss of substance from the joists to avoid unnecessary weakening.

Sponsored Links
2 of your holes are nowhere near any beams? What did you think would be under that area?!

Was only a light hearted bit of humour of my mishap at the weekend.

I'm aware that pipes can be under the floor boards. I wasn't expecting there to be a pipe right against the underside of the floor board though.

The reason I was hammering nails there was because I was securing the hardboard that was already there. The previous person had marked all the other pipe runs out but not that one.

All fixed within an hour or so and that pipe run now marked out :).

I did this once, twas lead gas pipes underneath.

Some plumber fella came & melted the lead pipes I fixed it then tested it with a match.

I didn't get him back for anything else lol.

Now days I write with a thick permanent pen on top of floorboards where pipes and cables are to try and prevent these mishaps.

Sooo, you hammered in 3mm oversize nails into the floorboards?? Surely you can appreciate there is a risk in doing this??

I did this once, twas lead gas pipes underneath.

Some plumber fella came & melted the lead pipes I fixed it then tested it with a match.

I didn't get him back for anything else lol.

Now days I write with a thick permanent pen on top of floorboards where pipes and cables are to try and prevent these mishaps.
He was probably the best plumber you've had. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back