Why do we bother

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Rang up the DNO today to ascertain the size of Neutral to one of our college properties or to see if there was a main bonding size requirement. (PME conditions)
You can guess the rest - "I've never dealt with this before, we don't keep records regarding the size of cable - hang on I'll ask someone.......................................................she says look on our website there is all the information needed for contractors"

No I say that doesn't help me at all it's just the generic jargon (Ze, PSC etc)
Is there anyone else I can speak to ?
Then she says "Oh, I've found something ,blah, blah, cable length 140M, cable size 95"

That'll do, I say, Thankyou bye bye

Is it just me trying to play by the rules ? :evil:

Sponsored Links
on a smaller scale...

Early on in my working days, I was asked to install a 10.5 kW shower in a house with 60A company head. Asked client to contact DNO for assessment/get it upgraded. They duly came, looked at it and said " FFS just install the shower"

Made me look like a right twit in front of customer.

Needless to say I ain't bothered again...

It sounds like all they gave you was information about the main LV cable out in the street, 95 being the size of the three (or 4 maybe) phase conductors in the cable and the length of it. Not much help really

I can sympathise Ricicle-its a complete and utter joke.

Rang YEDL in the summer enquiring about the type of protective device and earthing type used on the supply to one of our works industrial units. Spoke to a couple of different people who either didnt have a clue what i was talking about, said they dont keep that kind of info or said they werent obliged to give it out! :rolleyes:

When i reminded them of there obligations one woman said she'd never heard of the ESQCR and that i should get an electrician to tell me what i wanted to know! :LOL: When i pointed out i was a spark, and that i couldnt access their fuse cabinet as it was their property she said i could!

If it wasnt so frustrating it would be laughable!

Sponsored Links
It sounds like all they gave you was information about the main LV cable out in the street, 95 being the size of the three (or 4 maybe) phase conductors in the cable and the length of it. Not much help really

as it's a college install I would expect it to be the right size and 3 phase for it..

95mm is good for about 160A..underground..

I assumed that was a miss type...

95 inch cable seems a little unfeasable.. that would be 5 1/2 inches across each core..

also equates to 61000 ish mm²

The DNO is obliged, by law, to give the following information in writing: (from section 28 of the Electricity Safety, Quality and Continuity Regulations 2002)

28. A distributor shall provide, in respect of any existing or proposed consumer's installation which is connected or is to be connected to his network, to any person who can show a reasonable cause for requiring the information, a written statement of -

(a) the maximum prospective short circuit current at the supply terminals;

(b) for low voltage connections, the maximum earth loop impedance of the earth fault path outside the installation;

(c) the type and rating of the distributor's protective device or devices nearest to the supply terminals;

(d) the type of earthing system applicable to the connection; and

(e) the information specified in regulation 27(1),

which apply, or will apply, to that installation

27(1) says:

27. - (1) Before commencing a supply to a consumer's installation, or when the existing supply characteristics have been modified, the supplier shall ascertain from the distributor and then declare to the consumer -

(a) the number of phases;

(b) the frequency; and

(c) the voltage,

at which it is proposed to supply electricity and the extent of the permitted variations thereto

You should get a proper answer if you write to them instead of telephoning.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back