Why do we tie the neutral to earth?

IT systems - lets restrict this to LV systems derived from either the secondary winding of a delta star HV / LV three phase transformer or from an LV three phase alternator with a star winding.

In both cases then we have a star point - just like a normal TN distribution system. The difference is that the neutral is not generally distributed and the star point is referenced to earth via a fault limiting impedance. This would apply to shore based systems, or to marine systems in steel hulled vessels.

There are other possibilities such as might be found in ships with non conducting hulls (fibre glass), medical systems and so on - but these will just muddy the waters :D. There is an LV IT distribution network used in parts of Norway - but again let's leave that out.

Some of the main advantages of an IT system are that 'earth' fault currents are considerably reduced and reliability is potentially improved provided the system is supervised.

The major disadvantage is the need for supervision. This is needed to watch for a first fault which could connect the system solidly to earth. It then becomes a TN system and this could occur unnoticed. This could create danger as the system is not designed to provide protection against high earth fault currents and the resulting fault voltages associated with TN systems.

Now on a ship we have staff who should be capable of supervising the system - this generally means monitoring an alarm system for indications of a first fault. We might benefit from the improved security of supply that arises because faults to earth cannot automatically cause a circuit to disconnect. Such an occurrence could cause danger if an essential system goes out without warning.

I usually use this example - imagine you are on a ship in a violent storm. If a fault to earth on, say, the electric steering gear were to automatically shut it down the ship may broach, roll over and sink. With an IT system if the fault occurs in the steering gear motors an alarm would sound. There is a chance that the motors might catch fire but there is also a good chance that they won't - so tell the bridge to switch to emergency steering and then its down to the steering gear flats with a bucket of water :D.

Anyway why worry - if the motors catch fire it will go out when you sink. :eek:

This all sounds good in theory but in practice many vessels sail for long periods with 'first faults' that are on the list of 'things to do' :eek:

Sponsored Links
I've never heard it called an IT system! The star point of transformers are not connected at all.

I suppose it does as you say give a little extra safety by allowing motors to run even if they are earthed. However on ship if there is a system whcih has to run no matter what then there will be two or maybe even four. For steering, there are two rudders, and two motors for each. The ship could hobble home with one rudder with one motor working. Emergency steering on modern ships is just direct operation of the hydraulic system - ie operating the STBD or PORT solenoids by hand. If both hydraulic power packs have died then there is no way at all of turning the rudders!

All ships do not have two rudders - I was in the Merchant Navy for about seven years in total and I supervised five major refits in dry dock - so I think I would have noticed :D.

IT systems gain favour because of the reduced fault current and increased reliability. They do have there problems though particularly if loads that are supposed to be balanced become unbalanced.

A typical example would be electric oil heaters with parallel banks of elements connected in star. I once had to demonstrate this to a disbelieving oil heater company rep by using a lash up made with 15 watt pygmy lamps as a model :D.

The fault causes all of the elements in two phases to fail but leaves all of the elements in the third phase intact - care to try your luck :D.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back