wiring or faulty appliance?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I bought a satellite receiver and got what I thought was a static shock off the case. Then another.

So I got out a digital multimeter and I find that I am picking up either 110v or 220v between the case of the receiver and earth - It depends on which was round the cable is connected to the receiver - its one of those figure 8 connectors L & N only. I tried this with 'earth' being the earth pin in a socket as well as a radiator.

If I touch the case of the receiver and touch a radiator I can feel a slight tingle. (yes I know that thats a stupid thing to do, but I got the shock bending down to the receiver with my arm brushing the rad.)

I dont see why changing the cable around / reversing live and neutral should change the voltage?

I returned the receiver, but the replacement is just the same. Dont have this problem with anything else in the house.

Any ideas ? Is it a batch of faulty goods or could we have a problem with our electrics. (rewired by previous owner who was .....An electrician!) Although the fuse box is old so I think all he did was renew cables. All Ive done since is replace a socket, move a light and extend a ring. 9 years ago when we moved in I replaced the fuses with those trip switches. And Im confident that thats all OK.

Our earth is I assume the big copper pipe stuck in the ground with a length of wire to it out the front.

Any suggestions as to what I could check ?

Sponsored Links
(In theory!) If you ran your hand along the surface of the receiver (without touching anything else) and it felt like the surface was vibrating that would indicate that there is a pathway for electricity to flow to the casing. This is more safely demonstrated by a volt meter between the case and a known good earth connection. That would be a fault with the appliance, and not one I would live with.

If you are concerned about your installation you could get sombody out to check it over.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back