Wiring in Siemens boiler controller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the moment the boiler is wired off the fused spur. I want to insert the RCR10/433/Receiver but the wiring diagram and instructions appear to have been written in Alien code.

Anywaaaaaay,
a) does the receiver go in between the boiler and the fused spur?
b) The connections on the receiver are:
N
L
L1(n.o. call for heat - on)
LX (common)
L2 (N.c heating satisfied - off)

what goes where?
c) What about the earth cable from the boiler?

Sponsored Links
You won't get many replies yet as most people have work to go to in the daytime.

Answers -
a - almost certainly not, unless the boiler is ancient.
b - those are standard connections for the majority of room thermostats.
c - what about it?

For any useful answers, please reply with
- the make and model of the boiler
- is this a new installation or alterations to an existing one?
- what other controls are already in place?

Incidentally, I won't be replying until much later because I also have to go out to a job now.

The boiler is a Sime although I'm not sure what difference that makes!

from what you say in answer to a) then, Can I assume that the mains wiring goes to the receiver an then from there to the fused spur and then to the boiler?

The C) question was asking what do I do with the boiler earth wire but if the receiver goes between the mains and the spur then I can understand that that question is superfluous ie that the earth wire from the boiler goes to the spur earth

However it still leaves me in the position of not knowing where the mains earth goes in the receiver?

A straightforward answer would be appreciated - ie what wires should go to and from the terminals on the receiver.

Sponsored Links
Thermostats and other controls are generally wired to specific terminals inside the boiler, so the make and model is essential information.
If there are other items such as a timer, programmer or external zone valves, this will also affect how a thermostat is connected.

On ancient boilers such as the Thorn Apollo, external devices simply switched the power on and off, so if power was applied to the boiler, it operated.
Even with those, a thermostat would not normally be connected in the mains supply to the boiler as that would then mean your hot water was dependant on the room themostat being on, unless the boiler was for heating only (even more unlikely)
The majority of modern boilers (i.e. made in the last 20+ years) do NOT operate like that, and require a permanent mains supply with controls being connected to other terminals.

ok thanks for that - I've done a bit more research now and can see that the boiler to mains connection stays as is (from the load side of the fused spur) and the receiver is wired to both the spur (live and neutral) and directly to the boiler as you say. I'll need to visit the house again to have a proper look inside and what connections are there.
The boiler in only 6 months old..........its a Sime Eco comfort. The receiver and wall stat sender units came as part of the package but werent fitted.
Think I read somewhere that there should be some wire already inside the boiler for ready for just this job, but if theres not, presumably I'll need to get some twin cable ............if thats right what spec cable should I get?

Thanks flame for your assistance

@ Sherbertlion.............i'm not sure your response is at all helpful but just seems to take the pi$$.
This sort of comment is typical of a large proportion of regular "experts" who "contribute" to this site.

In case you have read the reason d'etre of this site it's right up there on the home page. I quote "DIY can be both challenging and rewarding - this is where DIYnot.com aims to help. Our expert teams have brought together hundreds of information pages. Why not Do It Yourself?"

There really is no need to have a laugh at the expense of those of us who are not properly qualified or time served and dont know everything like you clearly do...............of course if we were and did, we probably wouldnt be asking for help here would we?

if you're not going to contribute sensibly - I'd rather you didnt bother at all and go find some other way to amuse yourself

If it's the combi boiler, then the thermostat receiver unit needs a mains supply connected to L&N.
LX and L1 on the receiver connect to the 'TA' terminal plug on the boiler. The existing link on that plug is removed.
L2 is not connected to anything.

If it's the system boiler, then wiring is different, however unlikely you have that as there would be other equipment involved.

1mm heat resistant flex will be suitable for all of the above.

Thanks flame for your assistance

@ Sherbertlion.............i'm not sure your response is at all helpful but just seems to take the pi$$.
This sort of comment is typical of a large proportion of regular "experts" who "contribute" to this site.

if you're not going to contribute sensibly - I'd rather you didnt bother at all and go find some other way to amuse yourself

Wind your neck in.

The site is DIY, not professional worker being paid for a job they don't know how to do.

Wind your neck in.

The site is DIY, not professional worker being paid for a job they don't know how to do.

I'm not a professional worker being paid - wtf are you on about?

I asked a question which may have been naive and showed my ignorance, but thats why I was asking for help in the first place. If that tries the patience of one of the contributors, fair enough but theres no need to imply that I'm an idiot which seems as I say to be quite a common theme on this forum.

Ok, would it be unreasonable for you to have googled the boiler, found this:-

http://www.ultimatehandyman.org/PDF/Sime/Sime-Ecomfort-25-HE-Installation-manual-47-283-06.pdf

Then looked at page 13 ?

Maybe I got it wrong, but the basics of work is knowledge, or the ability to find the knowledge and then apply it in the field you work in.

Whereas you seem to perceive we are a rapid response tech support facility that should offer a instant response so you don't have to apply too much effort to being paid for work you (seemingly) have no knowledge to do.

Now if you'd posted here's a wiring schematic for a boiler I'm working on, could someone confirm that I do xyz. That would have at least shown some effort.

Ah I thought you were a handyman or some sort of paid trade doing the job for a third party.

So this work is in your own home?

Discount me slagging you regarding paid work, and let's just underline the general lack of humility in your posts.

Do you understand the facet of human nature that tends to mean a response requiring time and effort by other is more likely when you ask nicely? The tone of your posts is poo, impatient and overly aggressive.

I appreciate being frustrated with trying to do a job that you clearly have no ability to do, but that's no ones fault other than yours. Maybe you should consider asking the peeps that installed the boiler 6 months ago to do the work.

Maybe doing work on a boiler that is still in warranty will screw up the warranty due to the caveat on "unskilled tampering".

:LOL:

Chri5,
I dont know why you assumed I was "a handyman or some sort of paid trade doing the job for a third party" - you were wrong and my post said nothing to indicate that this is what I am. Your arrogance perhaps?

"lack of humility" - you clearly have your head up your own ar$e mate - since when did this forum or any other help forum require that users asking for help do so with humilty? Asking others to be humble just emphasises my point about wanting enquirers to feel small.

"asking nicely" - errr just re read my original post please and tell me which bit of that is impolite impatient aggressive or "poo" as you so eloquently put it.

"trying to do a job that you clearly have no ability to do, but that's no ones fault other than yours". Honestly have you heard yourself? It really is your view that I cannot attach wires into 4 terminals isnt it? and that only qualified sparks are up to that level of complexity........what blx!

I did actually google the boiler schematic but it made no sense to me, thats why I was asking for help.

Your contribution to this thread has been to slag me off, imply that I'm dishonest, and an idiot as well as being impatient rude etc ..............so far I dont think you've helped at all, and by posting what you have you have just confirmed by assumption that you belong to the same group of small minded elitists as Sherbertlion who would rather flame someone than to offer help. If that's your idea of entertainment buddy you need to get out more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back