Wiring an RF receiver to infrared heaters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, was thinking this would be straightforward.

Three months back my electrician installed a new fused spur in the attic, going into a double socket (pictured) into which I've got two Herschel infrared heaters plugged in. Heaters are on the ceiling of the bedroom underneath. Now I want to replace the Herschel wireless thermostat I've been using because it's rubbish frankly - set desired temp to 20c, it only switches on at 19.0c, off at 21.0c, even though it measures in 0.5c increments.

I've got a Salus RT510RF which can switch on off in +/- 0.5c or +/- 0.25c. I thought it would be a simple job for me to put install the receiver before the socket, so it switches the socket on and off. But I'm not sure about the wiring. The spur socket and heaters all have an earth but not the Salus receiver, and nowhere to 'park' earth either.

So would I run L and N from the receiver, then have output to the socket at NO and COM, and sleeve the earth wire from the spur directly into the socket?

Back of receiver pictured and this is the wiring diagram pic I have, https://thumbsnap.com/JUA3ltS8

Cheers.

upload_2020-1-29_17-26-12.png

upload_2020-1-29_17-26-27.png

Sponsored Links
Where does the supply to the sockets come from?

What is the rating of the heaters?

Are both heaters on the same plug?

Where does the supply to the sockets come from?

What is the rating of the heaters?

Are both heaters on the same plug?

Thanks for replying.

The supply is a new fused circuit on the circuit board. Only that double socket is connected so far.

Heaters are 1 x 600w and 1 x 400w. They're on different plugs, the two in the picture. We set it up this way so I could swap the heaters out for different ratings by just unplugging them.

Sponsored Links
You would not wire a socket to N/O and COM.
They are basically a Live in and a Live out and not used for a Neutral.

Though you will need a Live and Neutral to power the receiver, any earths would connect together in a connecter block
Running your two heaters through it will overload the contacts as said above

How is the existing stat connected

The Salus is only rated at 3A so you cannot operate both heaters with it.
Hmm, yes thanks. I've checked the Salus specs, it says "16A relay switching". A site selling infrared heaters says the Salus is up to 16A, without mentioning the relay. So I'd need to get a mains relay to control the input to the sockets?

Ah, I beg your pardon.

Yes, the receiver is 16A; the thermostat is 3A, so ok for what you want.

What about wiring it like this:

Existing socket unaltered >> one plug >> one cable >> receiver >> both heater cables.

Do you like them?
They were easy enough to set up and look ok. But so far, so dis-appointed. I've got the right power for the room size and insulation, more than recommended on both Herschel and other sites selling infrared heaters. But they take longer to warm the room than the CH radiator does, and consumption is fairly high. The claim is infrared should be less than half the consumption of a electric oil filled rad.

One week I did a direct comparison, working from home all day with outside temp at 8 degrees, with the infrared heaters only - then a few days later same conditions but only using an 800w electric radiator. With both it wasn't quite enough to keep the room warm, and consumption was exactly the same. The Herschel T-BT is as I say, a bit rubbish really, and I gave it a 2 star review on their site. I want to try a better thermostat and see if that improves things before judging infrared properly, as I was considering infrared heaters throughout as a replacement for my 25yr old boiler when it fails.

The claim is infrared should be less than half the consumption of a electric oil filled rad.

That is a lie. If a room needs say 1kW to raise the temperature to what you need it needs 1kW whether that comes from a radiator, infra red heater, or whatever. Ye cannot change the laws of physics.

They were easy enough to set up and look ok. But so far, so dis-appointed. I've got the right power for the room size and insulation, more than recommended on both Herschel and other sites selling infrared heaters. But they take longer to warm the room than the CH radiator does, and consumption is fairly high. The claim is infrared should be less than half the consumption of a electric oil filled rad.

OK. I asked because I had a look at their website when you posted your question, and I was pretty shocked by (a) the prices, and (b) the claims about consuming less energy than other types of heater. They could be good in a bathroom (at half the price) but I wouldn’t recommend them otherwise.

I just had a look and indeed they are lying saying they are more efficient than other types of electric heaters.

All electric heaters are 100% efficient.

You ought to contract Trading Standards and the Advertising Standards Authority.

I was considering infrared heaters throughout as a replacement for my 25yr old boiler when it fails.

You do know that the cost of energy from electricity is about four times the cost of energy from gas?

That is a lie. If a room needs say 1kW to raise the temperature to what you need it needs 1kW whether that comes from a radiator, infra red heater, or whatever. Ye cannot change the laws of physics.
I wouldn't say it's a lie. The point is a radiator warms the air, and people feel warm because the air around them is warm. But it takes more energy to warm the air enough to have the secondary benefit of making occupants feel warm. Infrared heat warms the objects in the room, including people directly so should require less energy, but it's debatable how much less.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back