Ceiling mount Infrared heater with 3 pin plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Herschel 300w infrared heater I plan to use in a conservatory. It has a 3 pin plug and can be ceiling mounted.

According to the manual and their tech support the 3 pin plug should be removed and it wired to a fused spur. Apparently a building regs thing.

From a DIY perspective I just wondered if there was any real safety issues keeping the plug and plugging in directly to the wall socket within reach. I'm fine with a visible cable.

Relatively low wattage and plenty of clearance so struggling to see the need for a fused spur but I'm not an electrician so there may be a good safety reason

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I have a Herschel 300w infrared heater for a conservatory. It has a 3 pin plug and can be ceiling mounted.

According to the manual and their tech support the 3 pin plug should be removed and it wired to a fused spur. Apparently a building regs thing.
Nonsense.

From a DIY perspective I just wondered if there was any real safety issues keeping the plug and plugging in directly to the wall socket within reach. I'm fine with a visible cable.
Nope. No problem at all.

Low wattage and plenty of clearance so struggling to see the need for a fused spur but I'm not an electrician so there may be a good safety reason
For a start they are not fused spurs. A spur is a branch off another circuit.

So I wouldn't take any notice of anything else they say/write.

If it is going to be permanently mounted, an FCU would look neater.

On the ceiling, and only 300W, you could actually run it off the lighting circuit if you want.

If you have a flex dangling down the wall, you could put it in mini-trunking. It can be painted to match the wall (preferably before fitting)

Sponsored Links
If it is going to be permanently mounted, an FCU would look neater.

On the ceiling, and only 300W, you could actually run it off the lighting circuit if you want.

If you have a flex dangling down the wall, you could put it in mini-trunking. It can be painted to match the wall (preferably before fitting)
Thanks. It's permanently mounted and I'll trunk the cable it's only 20 cm to the wall so short run on small ceiling part before it turns to a plastic conservatory roof

Happy with how it will look. Was just happy to use the existing plug already on it to a nearby free socket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back