Why does my hot water run so slow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I was hoping someone can give me an answer to this and perhaps some ways to fix it but basically I've moved into a rental and the hot water is driving me mad. The hot water seems to have two options: off or baking hot. The thing is when is on it runs really slow especially in the bathroom sink and the shower.

Also the cold tap itself in the bathroom starts off slow and you have to turn the tap round for ages and all of a sudden is will shoot out. Why is this?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
some clues as to what sort of property , flat, house, bungalow?

Hot-water system type?, cylinder in an airing cup'd?, with a hard outer shell, or soft loose fitting jacket?, method of heating it?, Gas, oil, Coal, leccy?

boiler that lights up when hot-tap turned on?

the sort of stuff that us lot cannot see, even with our crystal balls.

DH

Surely if this is a rented property then you don't want to spend your money getting it fixed?

It is squarely the Landlord's responsibility to have it fixed!

Tony

Agreed but with these sorts of things it's non essential as "it works" it's just annoying. There seems to be excessive play in the bathroom sink cold tap and as I said hot water runs slow throughout.

The water is done via a boiler that runs on gas (not much help I know).

When the hoy water is turned on the boiler fires up.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you do not have a hot water storage tank, so the water will be limited through the boiler to heat up the supply,

The cold water problem sounds like the headgear assembly has partially unwound - needs stripping and a new washer fitting.

Sorry I really don't know much about boilers and I haven't lived here long. It is a 2 bed house. The boiler doesn't seem to store water no. It seems to heat it as we go. So basically the boiler isn't sufficient really for a shower or to run at a fast flow? Is there anything else I can do to help this?

Thank you with regards to the tap washer. Is this something I can learn to do vis YouTube or something? I'm usually quite handy with tools.

Many thanks

Washer change/headgear service is simple but I'd be inclined to refer it to your landlord in case it goes pear-shaped.

What's the flow like out of the kitchen cold tap - how long to fill a 1 litre container?
How does the kitchen hot tap flow rate compare to the kitchen cold tap flow rate?

Thank you newboy for the reply.

The kitchen seems to flow a lot faster. This includes the hot tap. The boiler is also in the kitchen.

Cold tap fills 1ltr in about 5 seconds. The hot tap is almost double that. (This is both from the kitchen)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back