Why does my kitchen sink smell like roeen eggs..???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there guys,
I hope you can help me out here, when the hot top is run we get a smell of rotten eggs.??

Any ideas.??

Sponsored Links
Either foul smells are getting through the trap or the drain pipes from your sink are dirty. The best solution is to dismantle and clean.
Assuming the installation is correct. Has this just happened?

No bud, I thought it was the washer or dishwasher at first.
Then I changed the position of the outlet pipes and the smell went for a short time..
Now the smell has returned, but only when the hot tap is/has run.??

Hope this helps..

Check your main water storage tank in the loft. Not the first time i've found dead brds etc in the tank.

Sponsored Links
Run the washing machine on its hottest wash empty, full cycle. Also check the overflow on the sink for debris. You can remove it or pour some bleach down the overflow pipe work.

Andy

Cheers for the replys guys,

Will give those last 2 suggestions a go and let you know how I get on..

Is it the water that smells or the sink? Do any other hot taps smell the same? Try filling a container with hot water and take it away from the sink to smell it. Does the sink smell if you run the cold tap or don't run either tap? What if you tip some hot water down the sink but not turning the tap on (ie from a container)?

Its only the kitchen tap that smells guys, all the other hot taps are ok..
Here is a pic of the traps,
the one on the left is the washing machine
the one on the right is the dishwasher

, when the hot tap is run we get a smell of rotten eggs.??

Any ideas.??
Hot fill hose to w/machine - rubber or just manky plastic :confused: Unless it`s cold fill only :cry:

Aha

The washing machine and its hose may have a sludge of decomposing soap and fabsoft.

Has the washer had a maintenance wash recently?

If not give it a HOT HOT HOT cotton wash with no powder and no fabsoft. Put some old white towels in if you have them, but no synthetics. If it foams up it will be the old soap sludge dissolving. Do it again until it no longer foams. Take out the powder drawer and the filter and make sure they are both clean.

Also, move both the flexible waste hoses so that they are looped up, and the top of the loop is higher than the water level in the sink when it is full. Otherwise dirty sink water will drain into them.

take off the pipe that runs from your sink over flow to the trap. looks like its holding water (plus probably rotting food stuffs). clean it out with bleach and put it back. 2 min job, worth a try plus youll know its that if when u take it off it will stink.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back