Why does my sink give an electrical shock?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Tonight my wife was attempting to wash dishes until she was shocked by the sink. I've read a few posts on here about the house not being grounded properly. I'm just wondering if this is the case, why don't we get shocked from the shower or other sinks in the house?

Sponsored Links
hi, it depends on which parts of the house are grounded properly, in this case im not so sure your sink is, I would first suggest you consult and electricain, although failling that, you need to bond the two pipes under the sink, and make sure there is an earthing conductor connected to you incoming water mains.
To be honest though, if you suspect missing earths in your home, especaily you shower, you need an electricain round there as soon as possible.

It could simply be down to chance that you have not been killed by the shower (worst case senario obviousl) but I would recommend having it seen to imediatley!

Bearing in mind where you are, I don't think they have an earth system as standard, just two pin plugs.

You may want to put your own in and ground everything to it, a large steel or copper stake hammered a good metre or more into the ground, wire your sink, plumbing, security grills, pipework etc to it.

Sponsored Links
Back