WHY DOES THIS HAPPEN

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whilst boiling my eggs this morning i noticed bubbles coming up from the glass pan i have, i turned the heat down and the bubbles stopped i turned back up the heat and their they where again, i nipped upstairs and got my magnifing glass out to have a closer look, but i am still baffled to where these oxygen bubbles come from. i know the water boils at 100 de cel
but that does not give any reason why oxygen bubbles come from the bottom of the pan.

can someone put me out of my misery as to why this happens other than kevplumb as i know he would like to use a shotgun.

Sponsored Links
There is a very simple explanation for this. Unfortunately, i don't know, but when i was a kid, i asked my teacher and never got a proper explanation, so if you know, anyone,i would be intrested, thanks.

its not oxygen

if it was that would leave the hydrogen, and with heat from gas it would be interesting.

its actualy steam, and as steam is less dense than water it "floats" upwards

breezer said:
its not oxygen

if it was that would leave the hydrogen, and with heat from gas it would be interesting

its nitrogen i think

Sponsored Links
I just edited to give the correct answer, i googled to see if i was right, and i am, and no its not nitrogen, no idea where you got that idea from since water is made from 2 parts hydrogen and one part oxygen

breezer said:
I just edited to give the correct answer, i googled to see if i was right, and i am, and no its not nitrogen, no idea where you got that idea from since water is made from 2 parts hydrogen and one part oxygen

sorry breezer i just thinking of something else but how can steem form a perfect bubble and why a round bubble, looks like the planets also follow this pattern, and why are the planets round, i got a scrachy chin mood on tonight.

Hey, I hope not...

Woah, why's the house shaking?

Anybody feel that???

Helllll..........yfhjcgxxmhfz
    • ;jcgLKDZ

hey BOB i think you're onto something, marbles are round too!! I think i've found some of yours :LOL:

technically you are all wrong.

they (marbles, planets, bubbles etc) are spherical

and i can answer that one with out google

its to do with surfcae tension.

all surfaces want to pull away from the cente, but they have not got the energy to do so, so they goas far away as they can in differnt directions, hence, sphere.

planets are shperical too becuse the same applies but they have now cooled.

if you heat lead in a pan with a hole in it and the lead drips out if it can cool before it hits the deck it will be shperical.

that is how lead shot used to be made, only on a bigger scale

breezer said:
that is how lead shot used to be made, only on a bigger scale
sorry breezer but that's not quite the case, they used to make lead shot in tall towers where the lead was dropped through sieves and into water over a distance to create perfectly spherical shot. some towers are still around one of them is in brentford middx

tim west said:
hey BOB i think you're onto something, marbles are round too!! I think i've found some of yours :LOL:

Tell yea what timmy the tank engine if yea found my marbles yea wanna stick them in a jar with a bit of whiskey and sell them on ebay, yoe will get a nice price for um matey.

ah, but i did say if it was allowed to cool before it hit the deck, so it does need something tall, i chose not to mention the water, as i saw it being done by Adam Hart-Davis (local heroes) i figured he had the saucepan of cold water for his bennefit

this bloke

Jan07_MG_9530%20small.jpg

and tax IS taxing, click me

Sponsored Links
Back