Why does turfing a garden cost so much?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why does turfing a garden cost so much?

The cost of the turf seems to be a low percentage of the cost?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Its all in the preparation which is what takes the time, rotovating, levelling, raking and then laying the turf.

Ah it makes sense that they majority is labour to prep the area.

Buy seeds. You can get a large lawn for about £30 if you seed it. I sowed some seeds a month ago, and with all the rain we've had, have a nice lush lawn already.

yeah, still need to prep, but you spend much less and get a better lawn.

Mine 12 months ago 5E34F42B-F258-44BC-8845-42FDCA39DF22.jpeg42925F28-E696-433F-ACC7-3846AD4DBE03.jpegBABEBDEE-D539-478B-87F4-41B855BED442.jpeg
5E34F42B-F258-44BC-8845-42FDCA39DF22.jpeg
42925F28-E696-433F-ACC7-3846AD4DBE03.jpeg
BABEBDEE-D539-478B-87F4-41B855BED442.jpeg

Very nice looking lawn! Did you do that yourself or had contractors do it!
Which is the superior lawn - Seeded prepared bed lawn or a laid turfed lawn or is there no difference would you say? My garden in my refurb house is so full of weeds it would need to be redone

I used to talk BS with a cricket & bowling club greenkeeper & learned quite a few lawn tips.

By far the best one was to pre-germinate the seed. Mix the seed with fine, slightly damp topsoil in a bucket, leave in a dark place until the first signs of germination appear. When you spread this on the lawn the seed is already to root & grow rapidly.

Visiting teams would scratch their heads at just how good a condition his greens were, especially towards the end of the season.

OK, small area, and I didn't prep the ground beyond raking it and making it flattish. But didn't cost me anything as I already had seed left over from a couple of years ago

IMG_20210716_110311004_HDR.jpg

In terms of overall quality of the job how does "complete re-turfing" compare to preparing the ground and reseeding"? From a technical point of view are they both equally as good as each other with the turf just being slightly quicker?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back