Why has steam stripper blown plaster?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About 2 years ago I had a cupboard removed in a corner and got a plasterer in to make it good. I then finished it with embossed paper and matt emulsion to match the rest of the room.

I'm now re-decorating the room and started removing the wallpaper with a steam stripper. When I got to the more recently plastered area, there was a sudden pop under the steamer head - the skim coat had cracked and has fallen away from the base coat.

I've steamed wallpaper from many a wall and never known this. Can anyone explain why it happened? It's a brick wall not plasterboard. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Steam strippers are too hot. Simply spray or roller water on the wall then leave it half an hour. I put my steamer in the skip years ago.

I've been using it for years without a problem so I wonder what it is about this particular area. I have read that the plaster must have been blown in the first place.

Sponsored Links
It's much quicker to use a roller or garden sprayer. Standing around with a stripper (ooer) is a waste of time. When you wet it with a sprayer - you go off and do other stuff.

you left it in 1 place for far too long.
Maybe - not sure how long is too long but it was only matter of seconds - the paper was coming off so easily I was moving fast. I had already done half of it before anything cracked so it still doesn't explain why that particular part cracked and nothing else ever has.

I see why scoring, spraying, warm water, fairy liquid etc is less aggressive with simple papered surfaces but that's a nightmare when there are years and layers of paint to soak through - the steamer has always made lighter work of it. One wall this time had a 'skin' below the paper which was on top of a skim which was white and pasty - and all that was on top of the original plaster. The skin was dark red and stretchy. - could it be eggshell paint? The steam stripper softened it and I was able to peel it off in large strips. I can't see how water would have had much effect at all.

Anyway, thanks for the replies. I'll definitely tread carefully in future.

Steam is a gas and has no effect on paste. The steam condenses on the wall to form hot water - which reactivates the paste. This is why water works just as well. You just need patience.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back