Why is my plaster setting quick ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI people,

I have been busy wi a flat i rent out as the bedroom had to be skimmed, But am finding that the plaster sets in the mixing tub VERY FAST why is this?

Thanks Paul

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
or ya mixing it to thick and pouring dirty water in whilst mixing to wet it down a bit..........had a labourer do this once he couldnt for the life of him work out why it was happening haha, it was rule one of mixing school NO DIRTY WATER ADDED TO THE MIX

How long should it last in my bucket?
Set time is around 80-90 minutes but it depends on temperature, humidity & local conditions. You should aim to get it all out of the bucket & onto the wall inside 45 minutes to give you enough time to level, trowel off & polish; leave it much longer & you will run out of time & it will set on you; donlt be tempted to try & brign it back with water, it doesn't work.

Should I put some sort of lid on it as well?
A lid won’t make any difference, in fact if working from a bucket rather than a spot board will actually shorten your working time. As already said you must make sure your bucket & tools are spotless, use clean water & don’t over mix it!

Hi Richard c,

Whats the best way to mix it? Do you know of any vidios out there mate? Am planning to see if the local collage does night school on plastering.

A proprietary mixing paddle if you do a lot but a drill chuck mountable paddle (around a tenner or so) will be adequate for small jobs/DIY; set the drill to slow/medium speed & don’t aerate or overmix. For video’s check out U Tube, I’m sure there are loads on there; some good, some bad.

I’m self taught & have gained experience over a number of years but there are a couple of forum contributors who’ve started with a plastering course & have made a success of it. It’s important you understand that although a course will show you basic techniques & help you understand the materials you’re using, they won’t necessarily make you a plasterer. Plastering is a bit of a black art, mostly skill but with a bit witchcraft thrown in; it’s one of the most difficult of skills to master. Some have a natural affinity for it & will improve rapidly over just a few months; other will go at it for many years & still be NFG. :LOL:

Thanks for that Richard, I will have a look, am quiet good at D.I.Y and things to do with my hands, I think I did the small wall good in my flat and few more times doing I think I will def be on the right tracks thanks for info!! Oh am using a drill paddle one, did think of buying one of that mixers tho

Thanks again Paul..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back