Plaster is setting very quickly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I completed a job a few days ago and noticed something strange with my mix. When I applied it to the wall it seemed to be drying almost immediately. I applied a pva to the wall prior to applying skim, used clean water etc, basically did everything by the book. The plaster was well in date and I cannot for the life of me think why it was setting so fast? Could it have been the pva was not a thick enough mix, could it have been the walls, they seemed no different to any other walls i've worked on before? The job was completed but it just confused me as to why plaster would set so fast. Any advice welcome.

Flecha

Sponsored Links
Hi,
Welcome.Did your plaster DRY too fast or did it SET too fast? These are two different thing.On the one hand you said the plaster DRIED almost immediately it was applied to the wall,and on the other hand you said you couldn't understand why it was SETTING so fast.If it was drying in as soon as you applied it to the wall (suction),then this would be the surface being very porous,not sealed properly and taking the water out of your mix.If it was SETTING too fast,and the plaster was in date, clean water etc, as you said everything by the book,then I personally would have no explanation as to why.I would not expect this to happen.I have never had this happen.Anybody else?

ps.I know this might sound a bit silly,but ALWAYS use cold water when mixing plaster.Hot or warm water will speed up the SET ;)

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
It sounds as if its the porous wall scenario. It was drying on contact is there anything that can be done to counter this?

Use a roller with 1 part PVA and 3 parts water. For best results, apply your plaster whilst tacky.

Too much PVA takes the key away from the plaster and it's more likely to fall off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back