Why is my render so grainy?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

New house owner here which also means complete DIY novice!

Obviously with the new coronavirus lockdown it means there’s some time to do DIY.

Above our bay windows is a border which needs filling in due to neglect and some (fixed) water leak.

I bought some one coat render from B&Q about a month ago and decided today to mix and use it to patch repair.

I don’t have a mixer so I used my trowel to mix and mix for a good while.

However the render has come out very grainy. Is this supposed to be the case? When I see videos online their render looks so smooth. What has happened here? The grain is extremely strong. Like you cannot compact them anymore which makes me think the mixing wasn’t the culprit.

Any help or advice would be appreciated

Thanks in advance
0B8D64CC-FD00-4A7D-A4D9-82A819ACC038.jpeg

Sponsored Links
You are patching along side a hard surface, so there is nowhere for those grains to go. They are just sitting atop the existing render. Render is grainy and needs depth so overlaying onto a surface that is hard is a no-no. You need to contain the repair patching to the deep parts only and have a neat abutment form patch to existing.

You can't feather in like you can with say a fine plaster skim.

Did you rub it with a poly float/sponge? If you’d have run a steel trowel over afterwards it after it might have closed/smoothed the surface more. Seen worse tho, rendering’s hard!

Sponsored Links
You are patching along side a hard surface, so there is nowhere for those grains to go. They are just sitting atop the existing render. Render is grainy and needs depth so overlaying onto a surface that is hard is a no-no. You need to contain the repair patching to the deep parts only and have a neat abutment form patch to existing.

You can't feather in like you can with say a fine plaster skim.

Some areas had extremely deep holes, I’d say at least 50mm and still the same consistency.

Did you brush it?

Did you rub it with a poly float/sponge? If you’d have run a steel trowel over afterwards it after it might have closed/smoothed the surface more. Seen worse tho, rendering’s hard!

Yes I used a sponge afterwards. Didn’t change a thing. Is there anything finer than render to help smooth the masonry feature on the exterior?

I just tried sanding it and it just turns to dust.

What is best to use on this? I just want a smooth surface to paint onto.

6BF3DF42-FAF0-4B36-B0DA-C09D02374A99.jpeg

Exterior filler probably your best bet unless you want to hack off and reattempt the render before it’s rock hard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back