Why is tiling on chipboard a no no

SL

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why is chipboard the worst thing to tile on. (except carpet)

I was advised my by local builkder merchant, that tiling onto chipborad in a bathroom was ok, so I installed 22mm P5, which I can not take up. The max thickness I can have including tiles, adhesive, ply / backerboard etc is 20mm.

Bathroom 2m * 1.7m, joists spacing about 12" apart.

What should I do? 6mm backerboard / ply, screwed to floor ?

Sponsored Links
as long as the floor is solid you can use a 2 part adhesive. bal fastflex or dunlop tile on wood rapid will do the job. dont use a pre mixed one from diy chains as they take weeks to go off

Bal may say that their Fastflex would be suitable for tiling on chipboard floors (assuming that you have checked with the manufacturer for suitability - most chipboard just turns to mush when wet) and it might just work. What you failed to mention is that you'd need to take out a second mortgage to buy Fastflex. A cheaper and better option is to overboard with ply and just use one of Bal's regular flexible adhesives (either single part flex or rapidset flex).

Sponsored Links
I have put 2" * 2" bit of chipboard I used, under water for 13 hours and I can not pull it apart. i'll see what happens when it dries out.

if you'll pay the postage, I'll send you a bit that was in the bathroom and got dripped on occasionally.

Now chipboard is dry, it's 1mm thicker.

decided to over board with 6mm ply. Is it best to glue & screw ? If the tiles I use are say 10mm, will 4mm of adhesive be ok.

Thanks.

Use 9mm ply as an absolute minimum (12mm is better) - 6mm is way too flymsy. The ply is used to add rigidity as well as to give a stable tiling surface. Read the tiling sticky for information on fixing ply.
Use a 10mm radius notched trowel and I recommend using Bal rapidset flexible or Bal single part flexible.

You can go on top of chipboard but like its been said in the posts before mine Bal fast flex 2 part is the only way. But there is 2 other adhesives

1 - Dunlop 2 part rapid set flex (tile on wood they have just had a change around and changed the names of some things)

2 - Profix tile on wood

Take a look at the back of the bucket and see where this product is made.
It looks like the same product line as BAL and Dunlop so its going to be good stuff and at over half the price of Fast flex.

I found this at trades-direct its a bit stiffer than the fast flex but you can save your self a bob or 2.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back