Why no E27 Pendant fittings in UK?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I've been looking everywhere for E27 pendant fittings with little luck. Currently having to use bayonet to E27 convertors for my Ikea LED cool bulbs, but that makes them too long for certain shades.
Only place I can find them for sale is in US.
Anyone know why?

Sponsored Links
Hi,

You can get E27 Pendant Lampholders here: https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLBPHslashES.html
and/or
This site gives you a lot more selection: http://www.spares2you.co.uk/E27-Half-Threaded-Lampholder-Black-For-Ceiling-Lights

We traditionally run on the 'Bayonet' type, but 'Edison' fittings like yours, have come into the UK market during recent times!

If you do fit a metal lampholder, you will need to ensure that the pendant flex contains an Earthing Conductor as these will need to be connected to the earth terminal in the pendant.

I hope this Helps,

Kind Regards,

Andrew! :)

I've been looking everywhere for E27 pendant fittings with little luck. Currently having to use bayonet to E27 convertors for my Ikea LED cool bulbs, but that makes them too long for certain shades.
Do Ikea sell any E27 pendants?

Only place I can find them for sale is in US.
I bet you can't. E27 is not a US size - they would have no use for them.

Sponsored Links
@ ban all sheds - http://www.amazon.co.uk/White-Plast...50851&sr=8-1&keywords=e27+pendant+lamp+holder
There are other US sellers on Amazon selling them, but very few UK.
That's not a U.S. seller. It says £1.97 with free U.K. delivery, ships from Hong Kong, and viewing it logged in on my Amazon account it's telling me the seller doesn't deliver to the United States.

Indeed - We use E26 here, a.k.a. Medium Edison Screw base.

@ ban all sheds - http://www.amazon.co.uk/White-Plast...50851&sr=8-1&keywords=e27+pendant+lamp+holder
There are other US sellers on Amazon selling them, but very few UK.
That's not a U.S. seller. It says £1.97 with free U.K. delivery, ships from Hong Kong, and viewing it logged in on my Amazon account it's telling me the seller doesn't deliver to the United States.

If you bother to look at the business address of the supplier GNW Electric, you'll find it is
  • 1621 Brookhaven Rd
  • Wynnewood
  • PA
  • US

Indeed - We use E26 here, a.k.a. Medium Edison Screw base.[/QUOTE]

As has been stated the UK traditionally use bayonet (along with France strangely). Recently foreign companies such as IKEA have started selling fittings and lamps here without taking into account UK traditions. It would not surprise me if they also sold them in the US instead of E26.

I imagine a E26 lamp would fit an E27 holder (loosely), but not vice versa. Can anyone confirm?

Traditionally?

Recent times?

News takes a while to reach Hampshire, it seems.

You do make me laugh BAS! :)

and also ensure that the Earth terminal is connected to the earth at the consumer unit.

Very important point, although I did assume that the original poster had a CPC connected to the consumer unit, at the pendant connector point already! :)

As has been stated the UK traditionally use bayonet (along with France strangely). Recently foreign companies such as IKEA have started selling fittings and lamps here without taking into account UK traditions.

Thank you winston for backing up my point, I was stating the point from past experience! :)

It does seem odd I know over the years 110 volt were normally E27 and 230 volt BS22d one could get both in the other voltages but most firms did it that way to reduce the chance of error.

The BA22d fitting can include an earth and has no polarity, where as the E27 I have never seen with an earth as the screw is one of the connections, also one has to be careful to connect neutral to the screw and line to centre pin. There are versions of the BA22d where the pins are not live until the bulb bulb is fitted, not seen that with E27. It is common to need sleeves with E27 that press against the bulb to stop accidental contact with the live screw specially when used with 110 volt where there is no neutral. This means often restricted to 40W where the BA22d could take a 100W bulb. There was a problem with BA22d in that the pins could indent the solder on the bulb making them hard to remove and also if not fused when ionisation happened as they blow it could weld the contacts of the bulb onto the holder but this was rare with 5A fuse or B6 MCB.

The discharge bulbs tended to be E27 but since these often needed some glass or plastic protector to be removed before you could change them not really an issue being able to touch the threads. I know Ikea do use E27 as my wife put my spare SON bulb into the Ikea fitting and the fuse ruptured what a waste of a SON bulb.

I got my BA22d LED bulbs from Aldi I got some bulbs (CFL) from Ikea and it seems there is no built in fuse in the bulb which should be there as holder rated 2A but ceiling rose rated 6A so in Britain we rely on the fuse built into the bulb. The outside light it was used in was protected by a B16 MCB so when the lamp failed it welded its self to the holder and this was a BA22d so Ikea did do BA22d bulbs. I have never bought another Ikea bulb.

I have moved to E14 did not want to move but the boss said she wanted that fitting and I could not find a similar one with BA22d. At 14 mm however it is unlikely anyone could stick there finger in the hole. Seem to remember 12 mm is the IP limit I wonder if including thread the E14 or SES is 12 mm?

I would say best option is not to buy bulbs from Ikea, that is far easier than getting holders for E27 bulbs. I have just five BA22d pendent fittings left each one with CFL or LED bulbs in and a cupboard full of pearl tungsten bulbs BA22d seems my wife bought them thinking we would need them when no longer sold just so we could have dimming switches, all dimmers now removed they were just a 70's craze, since colour no longer changes when lights are dimmed no ambiance so pointless today.

I looked to find the lamp holder with protected pins, could not help smile the LED bulb has a 10 year life and the holder just a 1 year warranty.

If you bother to look at the business address of the supplier GNW Electric, you'll find it is
  • 1621 Brookhaven Rd
  • Wynnewood
  • PA
  • US
GNW Electric?

screenshot_771.jpg

But we can go with that other seller (or other name for the same actual seller, I strongly suspect):

screenshot_772.jpg

Happy now?

I get the feeling global manufacturing means it's all a mixed bag these days, I've got a cheap Argos floorstanding lamp that takes E27 lamps, as well as a fancy norwegian table lamp, wheras, yes, pendant fittings don't seem to come in ES, though I have some pendant lights with integrated E14 from that most British of shops, Heals.

A few years ago when energy companies were dishing out free cfl lamps on some carbon offsetting swizz, I remember being issued a pack with 3x BC and 1x ES. (At the time I was in a flat with GX24Q-3 lighting installed so none of them were any use).

Now, can anyone point me towards some decent quality fitted sheets for a 'foreign' size IKEA mattress? :unsure:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back