Why no E27 Pendant fittings in UK?

ooh, I now feel I have passed the initiation test on the Electrics Forum on DIYNot, after being insulted by BAS!!! :)

<Moderators note>
Some posts have been removed.

Sponsored Links
If you bother to look at the business address of the supplier GNW Electric, you'll find it is
  • 1621 Brookhaven Rd
  • Wynnewood
  • PA
  • US
I didn't see that before, but this is (supposedly) not the same seller as your original link. Out of curiosity I searched for the name on the Dept. of State for Pennsylvania website and there is a company by the name of GNW Electronics Inc. registered at that address; not surprisingly, the president's name sounds very Chinese (and the address itself is just a regular suburban house). I can see where the confusion could arise, but it's clearly just one of those set-ups in which it's nominally a U.S. company selling but in reality all the operations are carried out in China - And they do acknowledge that the items are shipped from Hong Kong, unlike some unscrupulous eBay traders who claim that they're sending from within the United States (or the United Kingdom). Either it's the same basic company manufacturing in China or GNWE is just a "middleman" for some other outfit there and takes a percentage for passing orders on.

Amazon doesn't seem to give any address for the "Fly Service" place - Maybe that's dealing direct with the Chinese company?

None of the three places selling those lampholders will actually deliver to a U.S. address, which I think most people would find rather strange for a "real" U.S. seller!

But all of that aside, even with the favorable shipping rates Hong Kong offers, at less than £2 for four including delivery to the U.K., the lampholders will be the worst quality junk imaginable.

(At the time I was in a flat with GX24Q-3 lighting installed so none of them were any use).:unsure:

When I move into a flat with the GX24Q-3 installed, the first thing I do, is to buy some proper MK Shockguard lampholders, and replace them all, binning the GX24Q-3 crap, as being non-standard, problem sorted, I can use a wide variety of lamps thereafter!

As has been stated the UK traditionally use bayonet (along with France strangely). Recently foreign companies such as IKEA have started selling fittings and lamps here without taking into account UK traditions.

Thank you winston for backing up my point, I was stating the point from past experience! :)
"Recently"? They've been on sale, widely, for decades.

"Foreign companies"? Have you looked at the registered address for Ikea UK? It's in Milton Keynes. And what about B&Q, Wickes, Homebase, Tescos, Sainsburys etc etc etc etc ? Are they foreign companies?

What about makers like Philips, GE, Osram and so on? Are you going to claim that they are "foreign companies" because they are multinationals, and the lamps are not made in this country?

The fact is that ES lamps, made by traditional manufacturers whose products have been available here for generations, have been on sale in UK shops the length and breadth of the country, for, as I said, decades.

What on earth is wrong with the pair of you?

Philips is Dutch, IKEA is Swedish, GE is American. They may have British subsidiaries but they are essentially foreign.

Sponsored Links
Try RYNESS they have about 5 shops in london, they have the ES holders, flex and the screw in flex clamps etc to make up your own

Nige - you may well be peeved at your lack of attention being pointed out, and unimpressed with the other stuff going on in your thread, but you really do need to listen to what I and PBC are telling you about the likely quality of these items. They are being flogged by someone in China. There is no importer or wholesaler or retailer within the jurisdiction of the UK who can do anything to them.

Yes, we are tarring all Chinese manufacturers with the same brush, and yes that is undoubtedly unfair to some, but until that country as a whole gets its act together it is the only sensible thing to do. There are many Chinese manufacturers who lie, and cheat, and falsify approval marks and basically sell you stuff which is so dangerous it will kill you if you so much as look at it funny.

DO NOT BUY THOSE LAMP HOLDERS.

ooh, I now feel I have passed the initiation test on the Electrics Forum on DIYNot, after being insulted by BAS!!! :)

<Moderators note>
Some posts have been removed.

Dear Moderators,

I am sorry for any bad behaviour from my part on this thread.

I will promise to behave from now on.

Kind Regards,

Andrew :)

Nige - you may well be peeved at your lack of attention being pointed out, and unimpressed with the other stuff going on in your thread, but you really do need to listen to what I and PBC are telling you about the likely quality of these items. They are being flogged by someone in China. There is no importer or wholesaler or retailer within the jurisdiction of the UK who can do anything to them.

Yes, we are tarring all Chinese manufacturers with the same brush, and yes that is undoubtedly unfair to some, but until that country as a whole gets its act together it is the only sensible thing to do. There are many Chinese manufacturers who lie, and cheat, and falsify approval marks and basically sell you stuff which is so dangerous it will kill you if you so much as look at it funny.

And to add a technicality to that, legally the person who imports them into the EU is legally responsible for their conformity to all relevant EC Directives, in this case the Low Voltage Directive and the Restriction of Hazardous Substances Directive.

Philips is Dutch, IKEA is Swedish, GE is American. They may have British subsidiaries but they are essentially foreign.
And for how long have companies like Philips and Osram been established in this country as manufacturers of lightbulbs (and I don't mean established as manufacturers in this country)? For how long have bulbs from foreign companies been so widely available here that the fact that they are from foreign companies is utterly irrelevant?

You really are, you know.

I imagine a E26 lamp would fit an E27 holder (loosely), but not vice versa. Can anyone confirm?
In reality there is usually enough clearance that an E27 lamp will fit an E26 holder as well and the thread design is such that an E26 lamp will still normally be quite snug when tightened down into an E27 holder.

The other major noticeable difference is that E26 holders here in the U.S. generally still have a solid metal screwshell for the outer contact, whereas present-day E27 lampholders for the European market normally have a separate contact set down in the holder which doesn't make a connection with the lamp until it is screwed at least part way in.

E27 fittings are not allowed to be installed in fixed wiring in the UK any more for safety reasons I am led to believe, they are only permitted in portable lighting.

E27 fittings are not allowed to be installed in fixed wiring in the UK any more for safety reasons I am led to believe, they are only permitted in portable lighting.

Really?

So these E27 pendant type fittings sold by Ikea and many other retailers, aren't compliant !?

Hi
I've been looking everywhere for E27 pendant fittings with little luck. Currently having to use bayonet to E27 convertors for my Ikea LED cool bulbs, but that makes them too long for certain shades.
Only place I can find them for sale is in US.
Anyone know why?
You haven't looked enough, widely available in uk.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back