Why not galvanised nails?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just started building a new garage door and fence using some very nice Western Red Cedar T&G and for some odd reason happened to read through the instruction book for my Paslode IM65 nail gun.

And it says in their FAQ's do not use galvanised nails with cedar.

Anyone know why? What will happen and more to the point I've got 4,000 43 mm galv nails, will I now have to go and buy stainless?

Sponsored Links
Copied and pasted from first search result:

Galvanized nails are typically used by homeowners for outdoor projects. Electroplated galvanized nails are often bright and shiny in appearance. They are not a good choice to be used with redwood, cedar, or treated lumber, because the acids and chemicals in these woods will eat away at the zinc coating. This will cause the galvanized nails to rust and leave black streaks around the nail in the wood. Instead, mechanically galvanized nails, which are dull gray in appearance, should be used.

;)

Hot dip galvanised can be used, but the problem is that inherent defects in the coating, flexing, weathering and most significantly the action of hitting the nails in, could chip or crack the coating and then you end up with a load of stains on your nice cedar

If you want a nice job and no risk of staining, then use stainless steel ring shank nails

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back