Wood panel nails leaking?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We had our garden renovated a year ago. I think the nails are leaking rust or similar from the cedar panels on the fence and shed. It looks ugly. Why is it doing this and is there anything I can do to fix it before it gets even worse? Shouldn't they have used galvanised nails or similar?

TIA

John

Attachments

• 20221008_122038 (Copy).jpg
    20221008_122038 (Copy).jpg
    433.2 KB · Views: 126
  • 20221008_122048 (Copy).jpg
    20221008_122048 (Copy).jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 103
  • 20221008_122100 (Copy).jpg
    20221008_122100 (Copy).jpg
    611.8 KB · Views: 97
Sponsored Links
It is the rust combining with Tannins in the wood making ink. If you want mark free the only option is true stainless steel nails, not the cheap ebay or similar "chinese stainless". Once you have changed the nails, then a wash with oxalic acid (wear gloves and mask it is a poison) will remove the blue/black marks

Even galvanised will not last long before rusting.

Fences are considered somewhat disposable. On my house cladding and shed I use brass or stainless screws. The roofers formerly used expensive bronze nails, but now stainless.

I am in a coastal area where I have found even stout steel bolts rust through outdoors.

Sponsored Links
Some woods like larch, cedar, etc are prone to this with galvanised nails.

I use mainly larch, but I've never used a stainless nail in my life (yet!), I don't do anything that ornate, and it seems pot luck if you get stains or not

I've installed both larch strip and cedar strip cladding on building exteriors. You can gauge the expected duration of the cladding and/or how cheap the architect is by the nails they specify. For a good quality durable job they will specify cedar cladding and stainless steel nails (sometimes even 15ga nails which seem substantially thicker than the more common 16ga), for jobs with a tighter budget/shorter expected lifespan/cheaper architect they'll specify larch and won't specify the nail type (so they will get 16ga galvalised - you don't see 16ga or 15ga bare steel pins much in the UK as it just rusts in the tool box/van and once it has rusted it jams the guns)

OP - pull the strips off one at a time, pull the pin through the back of the lath then renail with stainless. Black and red rust marks will come off with oxallic acid as others have said. I buy mine in crystal form and mix up as required. Remember, it is an acid, so treat with respect, and add the crystals to water and not the other way round

Last edited by a moderator:
Could I just 'wash' the front of the cedar panels with oxallic acid, If I wait until all the 'leaking' has finished? Or will the leaking continue until the nail has disintegrated and the panel falls off? The thought of removing all the panels seems a job too far for me especially the ones on the shed which look to be more of an integral feature.

...willl the leaking continue until the nail has disintegrated and the panel falls off?
You'll continue to get rust created until the nails have completely disintegrated. Oxallic acid will probably only delay that process until the next rain. Sometimes you just have to take the hit and do the work

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back