Why ribbed valve washers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've noticed that on some close-coupled toilets the syphon valve washer has one side smooth and the other ribbed or, rather, has two concentric grooves. Which way up are these supposed to go? I've always assumed ribbed side down onto the ceramic as if it was up then the outer rib\edge might not make contact with the rim of the syphon.

Just one of things I've never questioned or not seen in instructions.

Sponsored Links
I tend to fit them ribbed side down, I think my toilet likes the extra sensitivity!;)

Thanks footprints. Oddly enough I think I have found the answer; on a different subject post. Ribbed side to the ceramic or the side to be sealed. It seems some recommend a bead of silicon in the rib.
It is what I have assumed in the past but good to have confirmation. How lucky you are to have a sensitive loo!

Sponsored Links
Ribbed rubber products as advertised on certain "niche" websites are circumspect as to which way round they should be worn.

If any female readers of these pages would like to offer their opinions on this issue I'd be grateful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back