Why should a Digistat sometimes only call for heat for 40 seconds?

As I say, my Honeywell allows such an adjustment so I'm not sure where you're going with that one.

Just read the data sheet. you can set a few pins high or low. I meant adjusting the logic modification.

The downside of that particular approach is that it is quite a crude controller and doesn't provide TPI control and so would be a step backwards in terms of stability of output. If @PaulUszak was looking for a replacement I'd recommend a Honeywell CM927.

If that example was too crude for you, then use this one
Or go full hogg and use opentherm adapter http://ihormelnyk.com/opentherm_adapter

Not sure why you think an ARM cortex IC running a full blown OS is a poor replacement for a simple RISC IC

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
The obvious question and sorry if it's been answered is, are there external temperature influences that could be causing the setpoint to be reached, for instance, is the thermostat above / in close proximity to another source of heat (TV, monitor, plug in transformer, etc) ?

@coopersim No there aren't, but worth re-considering. Background is that all I've done is replace the old control:-

ae235

with the new Digistat as it has more flexible heating programs. The old one worked perfectly thermally wise with a ~1.5 degree hysteresis.

I'm coming around to the notion that the new Digistat's quasi-PID algorithm just isn't tuned accurately enough for a 26 year old vented boiler. PID tuning is quite a science and entirely dependant on the environment, which in turn controls the process variable. Everyone now has combis and they're rated at >2x mine, and expected to run many many times a day as water is drawn. I hate combis.

If my tweaks don't work, I'll revert to the above :cry:

Watch out, I've got a similar Drayton units and even that isn't a simple mechanical on off switch, there's electronics inside and even when the temp is below setpoint, it still cycles the boiler sometimes!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back