Why use tap water to flush toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve always wondered why we use fresh tap water to flush the toilet, there must be a greeener way like using rain water ??

Sponsored Links
There is, and some homes do have rainwater harvesting. The only problem is that most UK homes are packed into such tiny spaces that there isn't the space for a rainwater harvesting tank. An alternative would be to build new pumping stations and run a complete separate new water supply network feeding every home in the UK directly from the reservoirs. The cost would probably more than HS2 many times over....

There's an idea .... after i finish the new bathroom, I need to update the old WC.

I've always wondered the same. I have a couple of water butts but never water enough to empty them! They are obviously totally full from about september to may ....

http://www.reuk.co.uk/wordpress/water/rainwater-toilet-flush-system/

I guess it should be relatively easy to DIY. Essentially 2 cisterns, one on the loo fed only with rainwater, one big one outside that supplies water too the toilet cistern, then has a mains water valve that opens when the rain water levels are low - you could have it always say 1/4 filled, so ready to refill the loo at all times.

I’ve always wondered why we use fresh tap water to flush the toilet, there must be a greeener way like using rain water ?
1) Your 'fresh tap water' probably is rainwater .... that was collected in a reservoir and then processed/pumped to your house :).
2) It's a pity we don't have a system like the one in (parts of?) Australia, where there are two supply pipes to the houses: one for potable water and the other for grey water.

Sponsored Links
My rainwater goes down the sewer, at least, in half the house - extension had soakaway, but original gutter was not tilted toward it.
So it is all going to go down the drain either way!

Plenty of homes do have rainwater or grey water flushing, but it does add to installation costs of course. I've seen a couple of new build estates with communal attenuation ponds constructed to supply the entire estate with rainwater. The main issue is in ensuring it doesn't present a health hazard. Rainwater can also turn toilet internals green and slimy over time

Australia do have this alot
In their front gardens they have potable and grey water supply's and meters.

Also I have fitted in the past combined basin and toilet units. The ones in Australia the hand washing water is used for flushing the toilet.

Last edited by a moderator:
The ones in Australia the hand washing water is used for flushing the toilet.

Makes so much sense.

I've started re-reading Dune - I bet they do this on Arrakis too. Well, they probably don't wash much there...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back