Why we pay professional, qualified, registered sparkies

Sponsored Links
Afaict phase-neutral fault current will usually be higher than phase-earth fault current because earth wiring is usually higher resistance than neutral wiring but there are a couple of scenarios where PEFC could be higher.
1: A bad neutral connection.
2: An installation with significant parallel earth paths (supplementary bonded structural steelwork, conduit/trunking systems, systems where several submains run paralell to each other and have their earths linked at the far end) .
Yes, I think that's right, but virtually only with TN-S supplies. With a TN-C-S supply, the supply-side fault path is identical in the two cases, so that anything affecting PEFR will similarly affect PSCC, and vice versa. AFAICS, only a faulty neutral connection between cutout and DB/CU could result in PEFR>PSCC (as measured at DB) in a TN-C-S system.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
... and, of course, the 'resistor colour code' is not only used for resistors - capacitors (and sometimes other components) also sometimes use it. Any takers for:

... and, again, the 'colour code' does not necessarily use colours. How about this one (apologies for quality of pic - the component is tiny):

Kind Regards, John

... and, of course, the 'resistor colour code' is not only used for resistors - capacitors (and sometimes other components) also sometimes use it. Any takers for:

Not sure on this one. I don't know what the rules on direction of reading and meaning of bands are for color coded capacitors (i've only ever seen a handful of such caps anyway)

That will be 100000 pF or 100 nF

What really gets me though is that surface mount capacitors don't seem to be coded AT ALL.

Not sure on this one. I don't know what the rules on direction of reading and meaning of bands are for color coded capacitors (i've only ever seen a handful of such caps anyway)
Start at the top and look at just the first three bands. Without looking it up, I can't remember how to decipher the 4th and 5th bands, but they don't relate to the value of the capacitance.
That will be 100000 pF or 100 nF
Indeed, or even 0.1 μF
What really gets me though is that surface mount capacitors don't seem to be coded AT ALL.
... and a good few other components these days. I suppose some may be just too small to mark.

Kind Regards, John

In my experiance surface mount resistors at least in the sizes I use (0402 and 0603 mainly) are usually marked surface mount capacitors in the same package sizes never seem to be marked.

Yellow = 7? Try again!
Doh, doh, doh. Does anyone else have a problem where they think one thing and the fingers type something else ? Yes, Yellow is 4 and 7 is violet. And I can't even use the excuse of hitting the wrong key as I wasn't using a numeric pad when I typed 27k.
It happens to all of us! I suspect one of the issues here is that your subconscious (which has some control over your typing fingers) is pronbably most familiar with the E12 resistor series - which, of course, includes 27k, but not 24k!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back